One of the biggest risks you can take with your bike is leaving it unattended without securely locking it up first. Whether you’ll be back in ten minutes or ten seconds, you’re dropping a huge invitation to thieves.
Generally, cyclists are advised to spend the equivalent of between ten and 20 per cent of the value of their bike on their lock, but you don’t have to break the bank for a reliable one, either. There are plenty of cheap bicycle locks will do just as good a job for a fraction of the cost.
What’s the Best Bicycle Lock Under £20?
Obviously, the main consideration for any bike lock – even cheap ones – is that it’s secure and will protect your bicycle from being stolen.
If you’re on a tight budget, here are five bike locks under £20 which will no doubt prove a worthwhile investment.
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Learn more here.
Best Cheap Bike Locks on a Budget
Best Budget Bike Lock under £20
- A reinforced collar over the lock’s keyway offers you extra protection
- Includes a click-style transportation bracket
- Has a high-security bent foot design, making it easier to use
This cheap D-lock from Kryptonite will provide excellent security for your bike. Made of hardened steel, it is resistant to cutting, sawing and prying, and boasts a reliable locking mechanism, so you’ll know your bicycle is always safe with this.
This is one of the best Amazon bike locks, let alone one a budget. It’s strong and secure.
- An affordable U lock for moderate crime areas
- 12 mm hardened steel shackle
- High security Bent Foot design
- The U-lock is made of hardened maximum-performance steel shackle, so it will resists cutting and leverage attacks
- Not only offers your bike strong protection, but is also quick and easy to lock to it
- The bike lock set comes with two copper keys, so don’t worry if you can’t find one of them as you’ll have a spare
A cheap, strong bike lock that is perfect for any type of bicycle, this design from Tech Traders offers a complete solution to your problems, with its U-lock and added double loop cable.
- Sturdy and Durable: Heavy duty bicycle U lock is made of hardened max-performance steel shackle resists cutting and leverage attacks
- Easy And Strong to Lock Your Bike:15mm x7.5 inch U shack to Lock and go! Locking your bike and your wheels with 10mm x 135cm cable is fast and easy.
- Complete Solution:Complete solution with U-lock and cable
Best Inexpensive Bike Lock with Double Loop Cable
- Made of 12mm hardened performance steel shackle
- Its new hardened, double-deadbolt design is anti-rotation, so is resistant to twisting
- Includes a click-style transportation bracket
Another secure cheap bicycle lock from Kyptonite, this model includes a 4′ cable to secure your front wheel or any accessories, too. This might well be the best cheap bike lock you can find.
- Keeper 12 Standard U-Lock with 4 foot Kryptoflex cable Sold Secure Silver
Best Value Bike Lock
- Chain bike lock comes with a protective nylon sleeve to prevent any damage or marks being left on it
- The bike lock set comes with two keys, so again, you’ll have a spare on you even if you misplace your first one
- Integral lock head
For a cheap chain lock that actually protects your bike, look no further than this model from Amtech. This heavy duty square link design, measuring about 900mm, is tailor-made for attaching to bikes.
- HEAVY DUTY: This robust 9mm square link chain is resistance-welded for increased cut resistance
- BARREL LOCK: It has an integral, secure anti-pick barrel lock with 2 keys included
- NON-SCRATCH: 180cm (72") in length, the chain has a weather resistant zinc passivated finish and an anti-scratch protective nylon sleeve
Best Affordable Bike Lock
- The combination of a bike U-lock with the steel loop cable can offer you greater protection for securing front wheel or other accessories
- Its complex serpentine key slot will make it much harder for thieves to steal should they spot your unattended bike
- Again, the bike lock set provides you with two pure copper keys, so a spare is there for you should you need it
This lock is made of hardened, maximum-performance steel shackle, so will also be resistant to cutting and leverage. Coated by a layer of silica gel, it also prevents scratching, and is also waterproof, too. What’s more, it comes with a mounting bracket, too, which means it could be the best budget bike lock available.
- Sturdy and Durable: Heavy duty bicycle U lock is made of hardened max-performance steel shackle resists cutting and leverage attacks.size(L,W):19.5cm x 13cm
- More Safe: Mountain bike locks sing zinc alloy lock core and complex serpentine key slot to against various means of theif effectively.
- Increased Protection: Bike U-lock combin with steel loop cable can provide increased protection for securing front wheel or accessories. With 4ft high-quality steel cable allows greater locking...
Discover Cool Cycling Accessories
- Best Earphones for Cycling
- Best Smartwatches for Cycling
- Bike Locks
- Bike Lights
- 51 Gift Ideas for Cyclists (under £40)
- Plus Bike vs Fat Bike: Differences + Advantages Explained - September 20, 2021
- Cycling to Work in the Rain [Ultimate Tips for Commuters] - September 9, 2021
- Himiway Cruiser Review [Best Value Electric Fat Bike?] - September 7, 2021