We all know the bike helmet is hardly the most trendy piece of kit when you go cycling, but for obvious reasons, it is one of the most important.
Still, why limit yourself to a bog-standard design that will get the job done and not much else? If your budget can stretch to it, why not invest in a smart bicycle helmet?
Below, we’ll look at just what this is, before looking at various types and finally recommending four of the best smart helmets money can buy:
NOTE: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. This helps to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
What is a Smart Bike Helmet?
Smart bike helmets are for cyclists who just want that little bit more from their headgear when they go cycling. This might mean a helmet with lights, helmet indicators, a Bluetooth helmet, speakers, speed and heart rate monitors, and more.
The best smart helmet will, of course, still keep your head just as well-protected while you cycle, though, so don’t think you’d be compromising your safety for a fancy, state-of-the-art helmet with built-in Bluetooth, for instance.
Different Types of Smart Cycling Helmets
As we mentioned in the last section, smart cycle helmets can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. As a general rule, though, the main four types you are likely to come across are:
- Smart Bike Helmets with Built-In Lights (to add visibility to your presence – especially handy if/when cycling in the dark)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Indicators (to let passers-by know which way you’re turning on your bike without the need for hand signals)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Bluetooth (for extra connectivity – e.g. listening to music, GPS navigation, audiobooks, podcasts etc.)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Speakers (either as a substitute for headphones or for making phone calls, etc.)
What is the Best Bluetooth Bicycle Helmet?
Available in either black and grey or black and red, this Livall smart helmet is one of the best Bluetooth bike helmets you could get your hands on. Not only does its premium Bluetooth speaker make it easy to enjoy high-quality music and audio, but it also comes with a whole host of other impressive functions, including:
- Cycle helmet light – with eight full-colour LED helmet tail lights and bicycle indicators, you’ll be sure to feel even safer on the road.
- SOS alerts – in the event of an accident, if you connect your helmet to the Livall Riding app, your emergency contacts can be notified immediately.
- Smart Bling Jet controller – when matched with the helmet, this can make your life a whole lot easier with the ability to answer calls, take photos, control your music player, and much more.
Another great Bluetooth cycle helmet, this COROS design is available in matte red, white or black, and looks the part as well. With this on your head, you can enjoy these innovative features:
- Ear Opening Sound System – ultra-clear sound quality with no vibrations, while still keeping you aware of your surroundings. A unique design designed to direct the audio into your ear, removing noise for others to hear.
- Bike helmet light – its LED tail light will keep you seen, with three different modes to choose from: on, off or auto. In auto mode, a sensor will detect lighting conditions and trigger the LED to start flashing.
- COROS App – connect your helmet to this smartphone app and you can receive all sorts of data, including your distance, speed and route information.
- Aero-Flow Design with premium EPS impact foam provides superior quality and ride comfort. Making it our lightest helmet, ever
- Ear Opening Sound System (EOSS) guarantees ultra-clear sound quality, elimininting vibrations, while still keeping you aware of your surroundings
- SOS Emergency Alert allows for safer solo rides by sending your list of emergency contacts a notification of your exact location in the event of an emergency
Whether in ‘electric green’, ‘brilliant pink’ or ‘LUMOS yellow’, you’ll have no worries about your visibility with this cycling helmet with lights, including 10 white front LEDS, 38 red rear LEDs, and 11 orange LEDs for each turn signal, that’s for sure. Here’s what else it can offer you, too:
- Tap to turn – when turning on your bike, just tap the correct button on its wireless handlebar remote.
- Made to last – these helmets are both suitable for each gender, can withstand most, if not all weather conditions, and have a lengthy battery life you of about six hours on flashing mode and three on solid mode. It also should provide a great fit, too, providing your head measures between roughly 54 and 61cm.
- Money-back guarantee – LUMOS also offer you 30 days to try out the helmet, and if you find in that time that, for whatever reason, it’s not for you, then they’ll give you a full refund.
- Kickstart is our original crowd-funded smart helmet. It’s practical
- It’s turn indicators and automatic brake lights are very intuitive to drivers
- Protection: impact resistant EPS foam liner and PolyCarbonate shell (Certified: CPSC, F1492, EN1078, AS2063)
Our fourth and final smart helmet is similarly striking – you can purchase yours in either ‘ice blue’, onyx black’, or ‘electric tangerine’. It also promises you:
- Helmet headset – this smart helmet comes with an in-built intercom, allowing for independent communication of helmet headsets within 900 metres.
- Bluetooth – not only for music and other audio, but also for GPS signals, too.
- Microphone and connected headset – to enable you to make and receive calls, listen to music, and much more simultaneously while keeping your hands on the handlebars. Also comes with an ambient noise reduction function, so you won’t become oblivious to the noises going on around you.
- Built-in speakers and mic enable you to listen to your music and your surroundings
- Group Intercom allows you to communicate with up to three other riders
- Bluetooth connectivity pairs to your smartphone so you can access features on-the-go
More Bluetooth Bike Helmets with Built-In Lights
We’d also recommend the LIVALL BH51M Smart Helmet – a smooth, comfortable design featuring not only Bluetooth, but speakers and built-in lights, too. If you want to read our full review of the product, click here.
Alternative Option: Airbag Bicycle Helmet
If you don’t like wearing a helmet, technology has provided a solution: airbag helmets (AKA “invisble helmets”).
The best airbag helmet for cyclists is the Hövding 3 “helmet”, which sells itself by telling you that ‘the world’s safest bicycle helmet isn’t a helmet’.
Effectively, you wear it around your neck and if you’re about to fall and hit your head, the airbag will pop and cover your head completely. It’s a simply amazing piece of technology, as you can see.
- The Hövding is worn around the neck. The integrated sensors trigger the airbag in the event of a fall.
- Scientific studies have shown that airbag technology is 8x safer than classic bicycle helmets.
- It is designed exclusively for urban cycling and should only be activated on the bike. Minimum age for Hövding is 15 years.
Discover Cool Cycling Accessories