We all know the bike helmet is hardly the most trendy piece of kit when you go cycling, but for obvious reasons, it is one of the most important.
Still, why limit yourself to a bog-standard design that will get the job done and not much else? If your budget can stretch to it, why not invest in a smart bicycle helmet?
Below, we’ll look at just what this is, before looking at various types and finally recommending four of the best smart helmets money can buy:
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Learn more here.
What is a Smart Bike Helmet?
Smart bike helmets are for cyclists who just want that little bit more from their headgear when they go cycling. This might mean a helmet with lights, helmet indicators, a Bluetooth helmet, speakers, speed and heart rate monitors, and more.
The best smart helmet will, of course, still keep your head just as well-protected while you cycle, though, so don’t think you’d be compromising your safety for a fancy, state-of-the-art helmet with built-in Bluetooth, for instance.
Different Types of Smart Cycling Helmets
As we mentioned in the last section, smart cycle helmets can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. As a general rule, though, the main four types you are likely to come across are:
- Smart Bike Helmets with Built-In Lights (to add visibility to your presence – especially handy if/when cycling in the dark)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Indicators (to let passers-by know which way you’re turning on your bike without the need for hand signals)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Bluetooth (for extra connectivity – e.g. listening to music, GPS navigation, audiobooks, podcasts etc.)
- Smart Bike Helmets with Speakers (either as a substitute for headphones or for making phone calls, etc.)
Top 5: Best Bluetooth Bicycle Helmets
Best Bike Helmet with Bluetooth
A smart bike helmet with built-in speakers and indicators
- Built-in speakers and microphone (with Bluetooth compatibility)
- Automatic SOS alert sent to your emergency contact in the event of an accident
- Smart lighting on the rear (including indicator lights)
If the idea of “smart” bike helmet appeals to you, then the LIVALL BH60SE may be the perfect safe space for your head.
Why? Because it has every smart feature you can imagine.
It comes with built-in Bluetooth so you can connect to your phone, while it also has built-in speakers and wind resistant microphone if you want to make calls or listen to music.
As you mighty expect, the sound quality is never going to be the best in terms of listening to music, but for making a quick phone call, it’s fantastic.
This smart helmet also has several LED lights on the back that again do several things. There are standard red lights for visiblity, but they also shine brighter when you’re braking. Then there’s also yellow/orange indicator lights to show if you want to turn left or right. You can control the brake lights and indicators by pressing an attachment on the handlebars.
The last feature – but certainly not the least important – is the SOS mode. This will trigger a notification to your emergency contact if your helmet is suddently jolted followed by no movement at all. Again, this isn’t perfect and may set off unexpectedly from time-to-time, but you can control and cancel the notifcations from the LIVALL app on your phone when you need to.
All-in-all, this is a feature-packed and good-looking helmet.
- SAFE & SMART LED LIGHT: LIVALL smart helmet fits most heads size 21.65"-24" (55-61cm) comfortably. LIVALL smart helmet meets both CPSC and CE standards for safety. LED Lighting, noticeable from quite...
- SOS ALERT: Timely rescue in case of accidents. When the unexpected happens, helmet emergency signals turned on, SOS signals sent to your emergency contacts on impact immediately via LIVALL RIDING APP.
- WALKIE-TALKIE: Using built-in wind proof microphone and advanced Bluetooth speaker, even in high speed cycling, it can ensure the clarity of voice input / output. Perfect for enjoying your hands free...
Lightweight Bike Helmet with Bluetooth
The Sena R1 is a slim and lightweight smart bike helmet with Bluetooth speakers. It comes in several eye-catching colours, including ‘ice blue’, onyx black’, or ‘electric tangerine’.
It’s also feature packed and gives you:
- Helmet headset – this smart helmet comes with an in-built intercom, allowing for independent communication of helmet headsets within 900 metres.
- Bluetooth – not only for music and other audio, but also for GPS signals, too.
- Microphone and connected headset – to enable you to make and receive calls, listen to music, and much more simultaneously while keeping your hands on the handlebars. Also comes with an ambient noise reduction function, so you won’t become oblivious to the noises going on around you.
- Built-in speakers and mic enable you to listen to your music and your surroundings
- Group Intercom allows you to communicate with up to three other riders
- Bluetooth connectivity pairs to your smartphone so you can access features on-the-go
Bluetooth Bike Helmet with Speakers
Another great Bluetooth cycling helmet, this COROS design is available in matte red, white or black, and looks the part as well. With this on your head, you can enjoy these innovative features:
- Ear Opening Sound System – ultra-clear sound quality with no vibrations, while still keeping you aware of your surroundings. A unique design designed to direct the audio into your ear, removing noise for others to hear.
- Bike helmet light – its LED tail light will keep you seen, with three different modes to choose from: on, off or auto. In auto mode, a sensor will detect lighting conditions and trigger the LED to start flashing.
- COROS App – connect your helmet to this smartphone app and you can receive all sorts of data, including your distance, speed and route information.
- Aero-Flow Design with premium EPS impact foam provides superior quality and ride comfort. Making it our lightest helmet, ever
- Ear Opening Sound System (EOSS) guarantees ultra-clear sound quality, elimininting vibrations, while still keeping you aware of your surroundings
- SOS Emergency Alert allows for safer solo rides by sending your list of emergency contacts a notification of your exact location in the event of an emergency
Stylish Bike Helmet with Lights Built-in
Whether in ‘electric green’, ‘brilliant pink’ or ‘LUMOS yellow’, you’ll have no worries about your visibility with this cycling helmet with lights, including 10 white front LEDS, 38 red rear LEDs, and 11 orange LEDs for each turn signal, that’s for sure. Here’s what else it can offer you, too:
- Tap to turn – when turning on your bike, just tap the correct button on its wireless handlebar remote.
- Made to last – these helmets are both suitable for each gender, can withstand most, if not all weather conditions, and have a lengthy battery life you of about six hours on flashing mode and three on solid mode. It also should provide a great fit, too, providing your head measures between roughly 54 and 61cm.
- Money-back guarantee – LUMOS also offer you 30 days to try out the helmet, and if you find in that time that, for whatever reason, it’s not for you, then they’ll give you a full refund.
- Kickstart is our original crowd-funded smart helmet. It’s practical
- It’s turn indicators and automatic brake lights are very intuitive to drivers
- Protection: impact resistant EPS foam liner and PolyCarbonate shell (Certified: CPSC, F1492, EN1078, AS2063, NTA 8776 E-bike)
Bicycle Helmet with Lights, Bluetooth + SOS Function
Another LIVALL smart bike helmet, but one that is a bit simpler in terms of features (it’s also cheaper). It doesn’t have indicators like the BH60SE, but it still has LED lights, SOS alerts, Bluetooth compatibility and speakers.
Available in either black and grey or black and red, this Livall smart helmet is one of the best Bluetooth bike helmets you could get your hands on.
Not only does its premium Bluetooth speaker make it easy to enjoy high-quality music and audio, but it also comes with a whole host of other impressive functions, including:
- Cycle helmet light – with eight full-colour LED helmet tail lights and bicycle indicators, you’ll be sure to feel even safer on the road.
- SOS alerts – in the event of an accident, if you connect your helmet to the Livall Riding app, your emergency contacts can be notified immediately.
- Smart Bling Jet controller – when matched with the helmet, this can make your life a whole lot easier with the ability to answer calls, take photos, control your music player, and much more.
- Control Unit: stable Bluetooth connection, Auto Reconnect, controls music/calls
- Smart LED light system: 14 rear light LED's, 6 LED indicator
- Intelligent design: 21 air vents – extremely light, stereo sound
Hövding Airbag Bicycle “Helmet”
If you don’t like wearing a helmet, technology has provided a solution: airbag helmets (AKA “invisble helmets”).
The best airbag helmet for cyclists is the Hövding 3 “helmet”, which sells itself by telling you that ‘the world’s safest bicycle helmet isn’t a helmet’.
Effectively, you wear it around your neck and if you’re about to fall and hit your head, the airbag will pop and cover your head completely. It’s a simply amazing piece of technology, as you can see.
- The Hövding is worn around the neck. The integrated sensors trigger the airbag in the event of a fall
- Scientific studies have shown that airbag technology is 8x safer than classic bicycle helmets
- It is designed exclusively for urban cycling and should only be activated on the bike. Minimum age for Hövding is 15 years
Discover Cool Cycling Accessories
- Best Earphones for Cycling
- Best Smartwatches for Cycling
- Bike Locks
- Bike Lights
- 51 Gift Ideas for Cyclists (under £40)
- What to Wear When Cycling to Work [Best Bike Commuter Clothes Guide] - June 20, 2021
- Quad Lock Brompton Phone Bike Mount [Review] - June 17, 2021
- Did “Bicycle Face” Really Stop Women from Cycling? - June 17, 2021