This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep Discerning Cyclist rolling. Learn more.
Tired of typical U-locks or chains to keep your bike safe when leaving it unattended? If so, then a foldable bike lock might just be your way forward.
Made from metal plates, connected by rivets, the plates inside a folding lock rotate, so it lock can be shaped around all sorts of things and then folded down so it’s easy to carry when you get back on your bike again later.
That’s the main advantage of folding bike locks, really; they’re incredibly compact, and so are easy and practical to transport.
How Strong Are Folding Bike Locks?
Pretty strong. They’re among the more durable range of bike locks, and don’t suffer from wear and tear easily. Not only that, but they also are light bike lock in comparison to most typical U-locks which offer a similar level of protection, and are much lighter than chains.
Why You Can Trust Us
Discerning Cyclist’s expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing cycling products so you don’t have to.
Testing stylish gear since 2012
Hundreds of hands-on product tests
Unfiltered opinions from experienced cyclists
Top 4: Best Foldable Bike Locks
Below, we’ll look at four of the best folding locks for bikes in more detail.
Most Secure Folding Bike Lock:
1. ABUS 6500/85 Bordo Granit X-Plus Folding Lock
Available in either black, white or red, this ABUS folding lock is particularly ideal to keep bicycles of the highest quality safe from thieves. If you can afford the extra cost, you’ll no doubt find value for money.
- Its 5.5 mm steel bars with extra-soft, two-component coating prevents damage to your bike’s paintwork
- Colour-matching silicone cover for the body of this high security bike lock with ‘soft touch’ properties
- Its link construction, of course, provides you with a compact folding device
- Our top model with ABUS security level 15: Maximum protection against tampering attempts thanks to the ABUS XPlus cylinder, as well as the 55 mm thick struts made of specially hardened steel
- Extra cut resistance for your bike with the ABUS Link Protection Shield: Strengthens the hinges without compromising flexibility
- Attractive design: The extra soft 2-component coating is visually attractive and reliably protects against damage to the bike paintwork, such as scratches
Cheap (but Secure) Foldable Bike Lock
2. Kryptonite Keeper 510 Folding Lock
Alternatively, for the best budget bike lock, look no further than this Kryptonite model for a bargain £22.99.
- 3mm hardened steel links allow for moderate security lock-ups
- Transport bracket is particularly simple to install
- If you misplace your key, don’t worry – it comes with a handy spare
- 3MM HARDENED STEEL LINKS for moderate security lock ups
- Includes EASY TO INSTALL TRANSPORT BRACKET
- Includes 2 KEYS
Lightest Folding Bike Lock
3. FOLDYLOCK Compact Bike Lock
Or, for an especially lightweight cycle lock, this FOLDYLOCK design, available in either black, blue, grey, orange or yellow, weighs just 2.2lb, and unfolds to 85cm.
- Its compact design makes it noticeably easy to carry around with you, so you will never feel weighed down by it while cycling
- The lock is made from steel links specifically to be stronger and more robust than the average bike lock to put you even more at ease when locking your bike up
- It can serve all sorts of cycling needs – whether you’re a commuter, a mountain biker, or you own a foldable bike, a road bike, or a children’s bike, for instance, this lock is perfect for all types of bicycle.
READ FULL FOLDYLOCK COMPACT REVIEW
- TOP RATED LIGHTWEIGHT COMPACT BIKELOCK - Best Light Weight Folding Bike Lock. Portable Solid Key Bike Lock Protects Bicycle - No Code. Strong Equipment for City Outdoor & Urban Cycling. Bolt Cutter...
- 3 YEAR WARRANTY BIKE LOCKS HEAVY DUTY ANTI THEFT - Patented Ultra Secure Hardened Waterproof Weatherproof Bicycle Protector for Peace of Mind with Anti Tamper Rivets. Multi Locking Guard System Stops...
- BIKE LOCK WITH KEY & SECURE PROTECTION - Pro Kit & Accessories Set: Master Keys & Easy Carry Case Holder. Flexible Foldable Bicycle Locks Open to 85 CM Chain Link Circumference. Locks to Stands Racks...
Best Keyless Folding Bicycle Lock
4. EYPINS Universal Folding Bike Lock
Finally, this foldable lock for Qweidown gives you no reason to worry about leaving your key behind – because it doesn’t even need one. Perhaps the best combination bike lock you could find, just remember your four-digit password and you’re all set.
- It’s an enormous deterrent to thieves, thanks to its eight heavy-duty steel bars and links designed to fend off bolt cutters and hacksaws.
- The links that make the fold lock are coated with PVC premium scratch-resistant paint, so no need to worry about potential dents to it, either.
- It’s another lightweight, compact, and flexible foldable lock, which will feel both easy to fasten to your bike and comfortable to transport while cycling.
- 【HIGH SECURITY COMBINATION FOLDING LOCK】 EYPINS high security bicycle lock with a number code drives every thief to despair. 8 plastic-coated steel links in 7mm thickness, made of hardened steel...
- 【STRONG ANTI-THEFT】 EYPINS heavy and secure folding lock is used as optimal protection against theft and is closed with a separate lock cylinder. This bicycle lock is made of hardened alloy steel,...
- 【CONVENIENCE】 The fixed bracket carries the folding lock on any area of the bicycle body (saddle bracket, frame, etc.). The diameter of the fixed lock bracket is adjustable, can be installed on...
Discover Cool Cycling Accessories