When it comes to keeping yourself safe as you cycle, you really can’t put a price on shielding yourself properly. Protective equipment may never actively ‘save’ you, but it only takes one faulty brake, one errant driver, one commute without LED brake lights to saddle you with a lifetime of wishing you had erred on the side of caution.
Rear bike lights are a case in point. You might think your reflector can do a good enough job of keeping yourself seen to pedestrians and motorists, but can you really afford to take that chance?
Let’s take a look at why rear bike lights and bicycle brake lights are so pivotal to a cyclist’s setup, before looking at six of the best USB rear bike lights currently on the market at affordable prices.
Importance of Rear Bike Lights
Well, first off, it’s a legal requirement to have a bicycle rear light when cycling in the dark, so there’s that for a start. Even then, you should try and go by a ‘brighter, the better’ rule – this will help stamp out the ‘I couldn’t see you’ excuse on the driver’s part in the event of an accident.
Plus, in particularly dark areas, rear bike lights will make it easier for you to navigate your way around curbs or other bumps in the road – you don’t want to be cycling along, minding your own business, only to be sent flying forward by a unsighted divot or for a pothole you never noticed to send you crashing.
If possible, go for flashing bike lights, too. Standard red or white lights are certainly better than nothing but a constantly blinking light is far more likely to grab a driver’s attention in an instant.
So, it’s vitally important to set yourself up with a good, reliable rear bike light as you set off on your travels – both to see, and to be seen.
Top 3: USB Rechargeable Rear Bike Lights
Best Rechargeable Rear Bike Lights
This rear light from Knog boasts interchangeable straps as well one CREE LED light and three extremely bright standard LEDs, which operate between five different light modes including a flashing function.
One of the best LED bicycle lights in terms of value for money, it’s waterproof, dustproof, will keep you visible on your bike up to 1000 metres away, and its USB-rechargeable battery takes no longer than five hours to fully charge up.
Depending on the light mode you use, its run time can last up to an impressive 20 hours, too.
- UV-resistant industrial grade silicone rubber body and strap. Polycarbonate housing. PMMA Lens. Anodised aluminium heat sink. Anodised aluminium fascia and solid stainless steel MIM latch.
- LEDs: 1 x CREE XB-D, 3 x Super bright LEDs
- Battery: Integrated rechargeable Lithium Polymer.
A slightly more expensive 44 Peak Lumens model from Knog, this again is waterproof, with a reflective face and five different lighting modes to choose from.
Between this red design and the R70, there isn’t much to split these two fine USB-rechargeable bike lights, in truth. Again, it will make you seen for up to 1000 metres, and its interchangeable straps make it compatible with a host of different bike types.
- Waterproof, reflective face, USB recharcheable rear bike light
- 44 Peak Lumens.
- 5 Modes
Our third and final recommendation for rechargeable bike lights comes courtesy of Apace; the cheapest but still a contender for the best bike tail light going at the moment.
The Guard G3X Pro100 offers an extremely bright output of 100 Lumens, has a 180-degree beam angle for good measure, and as many as seven lighting modes. Plus, its battery life is incredible; depending on the mode you pick, of course, it can last up to 45 hours.
And if you’re worried about whether it’s the right fit for your bicycle, don’t be – whether it’s a road, mountain, hybrid or commuting bike you own, this can be mounted on to the rear seamlessly in a matter of seconds.
- ✅THE LATEST VERSION: Our best-selling rechargeable rear bike light just got better! An upgrade over the Guard G3X, the powerful Guard G3X Pro100 bike back light is now brilliantly brighter, easier...
- ✅EXTRA BRIGHT; EXTRA SAFETY: With a super-bright 100 LUMEN output, this bicycle rear light provides SUPERIOR DAYTIME VISIBILITY, has an extra-wide 180-degree beam angle for safe illumination at day...
- ✅IMPRESSIVE BATTERY LIFE: Unlike other cycling rear lights that quickly die on you, we’ve fitted our bike taillight with a POWERFUL 950mAh BATTERY that LASTS 2-45 HOURS; 90% longer than most...
Top 3: LED Brake Lights for Bicycle
Best Bike Brake Lights
This superb bike brake light offers you great visibility in all weather conditions up to 150 metres away, and a 180-degree field of view width, too.
Its hi-tech sensor means the light will turn on automatically riding in low brightness and turn off in high brightness, as well as turning on when breaking and switching to brake light mode when decelerating.
It’s also waterproof and dustproof, can last for as long as 20 hours, is easily rechargeable via its USB chord which comes with it, and its adjustable strap makes mounting it on to the rear of your bike a cakewalk.
- 【WIDE FIELD OF VIEW】: 180-Degree field of view width, visibility up to 150m, utilization of high-brightness COB LED+EnSca lens, offers super brightness for you but not dazzling, all clearly...
- 【AUTO START AND STOP】: With a intelligent sensor, the bike tail light will turn on automaticlly riding in low brightness and turn off in high brightness. Also will turn on when braking,...
- 【IPX6 WATERPROOF】: IPx6 waterproof and dustproof, water spray from any direction will not enter the light even in big rainning.
This EBUYFIRE light also provides a 180-degree field of view width and intelligent brake sensors, keeping you safe in the knowledge that you’ll always be visible to those near you.
Its light sensor means that the flashing light function will activate itself in low brightness and turn off in high-intensity light, too. It’s another waterproof model which can easily be installed with its adjustable strap, and just two hours of charge can provide between 25 and 50 hours of power depending on your preferred light mode.
- WIDE FIELD of VIEW : 180 Degree field of view degree wide angle design, the led bike light will make you more visible for other road users in dark night or daytime. It will be great for your extra...
- INTELLIGENT BRAKE SENSOR: A build-in integrated accelerometer ensures accurate brake detection. With the brake sensor, Automatic ultra bright brake light will automatically light up after braking.The...
- SENSING FUNCTION: In Fast Flash and Breathing mode with light sensor, the flashing light will turn on automatically in low brightness and turn off in high-intensity light. Save your time to switch the...
Our final choice for the best rear cycle light is this USB rear bike light from ENFITNIX which, with a brake sensor inside it, will automatically light up with an extremely bright, highly visible light after braking.
It also offers a day/night mode which can be switched automatically according to the relative brightness, both of which do a fine job of keeping you seen to all around you. There is a manual mode, though, if you prefer to be in control of the intensity of the light.
One more, its adjustable silicone strap makes attaching the light to your bike’s rear easy, and it provides a solid battery life no matter which of its three modes you choose: constant (10 hours), breathing (15) or flashing (30).
- [Smart Brake Sensing]With brake sensor inside, this smart bicycle light will automatically light up bright brake light after you braking.The bicycle light is more bright at that time and highly...
- [Auto/Manual Mode]Switch the mode by pressing the middle button twice. In automatic mode, when the bicycle stands still for ten seconds, it will go out automatically.It will light up again when you...
- [Easy Mount and Remove＆Small Size and Light Weight] Saddle mounting bracket and adjustable silicone strap are provided, make the bicycle rear light quick and flexible install on saddles, seatposts,...
- Best Smart Bike Helmets (with Built-In Bluetooth)
- Best Bike Handlebar Mirrors
- Best Waterproof Trainers for Urban Cycling
- Office-Friendly Clothing for Bike Commuters [ULTIMATE STYLE GUIDE] - December 1, 2021
- DUER All-Weather Denim – Review [WATERPROOF CYCLING JEANS TESTED] - November 25, 2021
- The World’s First TRULY Waterproof Cycling Jeans? - November 22, 2021