As the winter nights draw back in and darkness descends on your commute to and from work again, you’ll need to make sure you’re fully prepared for any eventuality that could arise from not being visible enough on your bike.
For obvious reasons, it’s of the utmost importance that everyone around can clearly see you cycling, and given that most collisions between cyclists and cars occur at intersections, a bright, unmissable headlight is crucial.
NOTE: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. This helps to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
What are LED Bike Lights?
LEDs are lights working on low-power consumption. They reach their maximum intensity instantly, and have a much longer shelf life than other types of lights, such as halogen bulbs.
LEDs have basically become the norm on bikes now due to these factors; they’re brighter than old dynamo lights, they last longer than them, and they’re much lighter than them, too.
They also have the ability to flicker – in some cases, anyway – another useful attribute if you want to make yourself seen on your bike.
Best LED Bike Lights
With all of this in mind, here at Discerning Cyclist, we’ve picked out four of the best bike lights for night riding.
Whether you’re simply after the best bicycle front light money can buy, the brightest bike light, or an LED front bike light that flickers, these four are highly recommended:
Kicking off our list of the best bike lights on the market right now is this model from Antimi; an ideal purchase if you’re a keen mountain biker.
Both its front and rear lights can be recharged using its USB cable, so it’s among the greener variety, too. Plus, these lights are waterproof and dust-proof, so will come in handy whatever the weather.
The side window with a yellow light is what will keep you so visible at all times, and its battery level indicator will make you aware of when it’s low on charge. It’s great for cycling in the dark, for sure, but its versatility lends itself to so many more outdoor activities, too.
- 【USB rechargeable and anti-glare optical design 】 The front and rear lights can be recharged using the USB cable (included), which is recyclable for economy and environmental friendliness. with...
- 【IPX5 waterproof and easy to install】IPX5 waterproof and dust-proof bike lights can withstand all adverse weather conditions. It is easy and safe to install with a new stable, tool-free and quick...
- 【Mutifunction】This bike light set is versatile enough for cycling, hiking, camping, or any outdoor activity and can be used as emergency flashlight. keep it inside your car, basement, attic, and...
This newer LED bicycle light from Antimi is the same price, but arguably even more impressive, thanks firstly to its two different lighting modes which can be operated with ease due to the one-touch switch.
With this, you can alternate between high and medium brightness on both the bike headlight and the tail-light. For good measure, this also boasts the same battery indicator and yellow-lit side window features, as well as being USB-rechargeable, with the ability to last up to as long as eight hours.
And if all of that wasn’t enough, it’s another waterproof, dust-proof design from Antimi, so don’t be deterred from cycling by the weather with these lights on your bike.
- [2 Light Mode Options]: The headlight and rear light have a one-touch switch with 2 different lighting modes, depending on your wishes. It includes high brightness and medium brightness. This allows...
- [Free Tail Light Included]: With a headlight and a tail light, you can highlight your bike with an unparalleled all-round view so that you and your loved ones are safer in the dark. Our Ultra Bright...
- [Rechargeable Samsung Li-ion & Cree LED]: 2600 mAh Li-ion battery USB rechargeable front light ensures a runtime of up to 8 hours, Cree LED ensures an optimal ratio of light intensity and energy...
The cheapest on the list but still offering excellent value, this set of front and rear lights from Ascher is another that is rechargeable with a USB, highly waterproof, and operates via a simple one-touch switch mode.
Indeed, this switch can flicker between as many as four different lighting modes depending on your preference – either full or half brightness, or fast or slow flashing.
It’s also easy to set up, with the headlight equipped with a mounting bracket that can be attached to the handlebar in no time, and the tail-light made up of four openings that fit tightly around most seat posts. Both can also be easily tightened or loosened if you wish to change this.
- ✔ADVANCED DESIGN: USB rechargeable front and back light, built in 2000mAh rechargeable lithium battery for Headlight and built in 330mAh rechargeable lithium battery for Taillight. Waterproof rated...
- ✔FOUR LIGHT MODE OPTIONS: The Headlight and Taillight feature an one-touch switch with four different lighting modes depending on your preference. Include full brightness, half brightness, fast...
- ✔EASY INSTALLATION: The Headlight is equipped with a mounting bracket that can be easily fixed to the handlebar. The silicone mount strap for Taillight is designed with four openings that tightly...
Last but not least, this Nestling model is again rechargeable via a USB, and offers an impressive battery life of roughly four hours on 100 per cent brightness, eight hours on 50 per cent, and 12 hours on 25 per cent. It also possesses a handy strobe lighting feature if you’re that way inclined.
As well as a useful four different modes of lighting, you can’t understate just how bright this light is. With this on full-blast, you can be seen from as far away as 300 metres, while its tempered glass lens and smooth aluminium reflector cap can reflect 98 per cent of the light.
This is another that’s also suitable for much more than just cycling; if you’re going camping, fishing, hiking, or sailing, for instance, this will also be ideal for any of these activities, too.
No products found.
Are There Any LED Bike Lights You Would Recommend? Let Us Know In The Comments…
- 2021 Cycling Lifestyle Survey: Win a £100 Rapha Voucher - April 21, 2021
- Champagne Rides: A Chat with Didsbury Bicycle Hire’s Ashleigh Otten [COMPETITION] - April 20, 2021
- What is the Best Bike for Cycling to Work? [VISUAL GUIDE] - April 9, 2021