This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep Discerning Cyclist rolling. Learn more.
- What Bike Accessories Do I Need?
- Best Cycling Accessories for Commuting
- Top 3 Accessories for Bike Commuters
- Best Lightweight Bike Multi-Tool
- Best Folding Bike Lock
- Best Phone Mount for Bike
- Best Bike Lights for Commuting
- Best Bicycle Bell for Commuting
- Best Bike Chain Cleaning Tool
- Best Mini Bike Pump for Commuters
In order to ride a bike, you need two things: you and a bicycle. That’s it.
Cycling is one of the great simple pleasures in life and if you can get by with just you and your bike – perfect. But sometimes a few accessories can help improve your ride, whether that be by making things easier, more comfortable or even safer.
In this guide, we’re going to take a look at seven of the best bike commuter accessories and cycling gadgets that will help improve your rides.
What Bike Accessories Do I Need?
Obviously, some bike accessories are more necessary than others. For example, if you’re leaving your bicycle in a public area, a good bike lock is essential (unless you’re happy to buy a bicycle every day!).
Therefore, we’d consider the following essential cycle accessories for any commuting cyclist:
- Bike lock – to protect your bike and give you peace of mind during the periods when you have to leave it unattended.
- Bike lights – because, by law, you need a white front light and a red tail light fitted on to your bike frame if cycling when the sun isn’t up.
- Bell – again, in the UK at least, bikes have to be sold with a bell by law. So you might already have a fairly no-frills one, but that’s not to say you can’t branch out…
- Bike pump – you won’t always need one, but when you do, you’ll be thankful you have a pump. Nobody wants to try cycling with a flat tyre, do they?
Best Cycling Accessories for Commuting
Finding the best cycling accessories for commuting isn’t necessarily the same for everybody. It really depends on you and your own commute to figure out what you want and need.
After all, there’s no shortage of cool bike accessories there, but that doesn’t mean you should fit your bicycle with all the bells and whistles you can find. Instead the addition of just a couple handy tools or urban bike accessories can help improve your commute. For some, that will be multi-tool, for others it will be a phone mount or even a fancy bike bell.
Anyway, let’s get into it… here’s our guide to the top accessories for bike commuters.
Why You Can Trust Us
Discerning Cyclist’s expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing cycling products so you don’t have to.
Testing stylish gear since 2012
Hundreds of hands-on product tests
Unfiltered opinions from experienced cyclists
Top 3 Accessories for Bike Commuters
Best Lightweight Bike Multi-Tool
1. Rehook PLUS – 11 Bike Tools in 1 (£24.00)
An all-in-one tool to get you back on the road
- Dimensions: 14.8 x 2.8 x 1.4 cm
- Weight: 60 g
- Gets your chain back on, removes tyre and more
The main USP of the original Rehook was that it allows you to re-attach your chain to bike within three seconds without drenching your hands in oil while doing so.
But with the Rehook PLUS (check out our full review here), the company has made this possibly the ultimate all-in-one cycling tool for commuters.
As well as reattaching your bike chain, the Rehook PLUS has:
- Two tyre levers to help you to remove your tyre
- Two spoke keys to remove wheel spokes
- 8mm, 9mm and 10mm wrench
- 5mm, 6mm Hex and Allan Keys
- PH1 Phillips screwdriver
Basically, if anything needs tightening, loosening or changing on your bike, you’ll probably be able to do it with this tool.
One of the big benefits of this tool in particular, though, is just how lightweight and easy to carry it is. It weighs in at just 60 grams and even has a strap so you can attach it to your bike frame.
- As seen on BBC DRAGONS' DEN
- Attaches to your bike so it's always ready when you need it most
- Rehook Chain Tool Head, 2x Tyre Levers & 2x Spoke Keys - Your new roadside cycle tool kit
Best Folding Bike Lock
2. Foldylock Compact (£74.90)
A seriously lightweight folding bike lock
- Dimensions: 6 x 6 x 19 cm (unfolds to 85 cm)
- Weight: 1 kg
- Fast and simple to use
Folding bike locks can be the most convenient option for commuters as they are much more compact and easy to carry than other locks.
And with the Foldylock Compact weighing in at just a shade over 1kg, this might well be the best folding lock of the bunch.
Obviously, security is the number one reason for buying a bike lock, and the good news is that this is a Sold Secure bronze-rated bicycle lock (which basically means you’ll need a few minutes with some power tools to get through it). This level of security has been achieved by incorporating hardened, more robust steel links and ultra-protected rivets.
The Foldylock Compact comes with it’s own case that can easily be attached to your bike frame either by using the velcro straps provided or by screwing it in place of your bottle holder.
A very easy to use, lightweight and convenient bike lock. For me, this is one of the best bike accessories for commuting and one I use every day.
Learn more about the Foldylock Compact in our full review here.
- TOP RATED LIGHTWEIGHT COMPACT BIKELOCK - Best Light Weight Folding Bike Lock. Portable Solid Key Bike Lock Protects Bicycle - No Code. Strong Equipment for City Outdoor & Urban Cycling. Bolt Cutter...
- 3 YEAR WARRANTY BIKE LOCKS HEAVY DUTY ANTI THEFT - Patented Ultra Secure Hardened Waterproof Weatherproof Bicycle Protector for Peace of Mind with Anti Tamper Rivets. Multi Locking Guard System Stops...
- BIKE LOCK WITH KEY & SECURE PROTECTION - Pro Kit & Accessories Set: Master Keys & Easy Carry Case Holder. Flexible Foldable Bicycle Locks Open to 85 CM Chain Link Circumference. Locks to Stands Racks...
Best Phone Mount for Bike
3. Quad Lock Phone Mount for Bike (£29.99)
One of the must-have commuter bike accessories
- Dimensions: 7 x 12 x 4.3 cm
- Weight: 80 g
- Compatible with all Quad Lock cases
Bike phone mounts are nothing new, but Quad Lock have created a product that removes a lot of the fiddling of attaching your phone to a mount, while also making it more secure.
Quad Lock have rethought the entire process of not just bike phone mounts, but even car phone mounts. There are two pieces of kit needed to use Quad Lock: 1) the mounting system and 2) the mount itself.
The mounting system itself either comes in the form of a specialised Quad Lock phone case or a universal adaptor which is permanently added to your phone. Then, when you want to put your phone on the mount, you simply align the adaptor with the mount then twist to lock it in place.
There are certainly cheaper phone bike mounts available, but Quad Lock is the most elegant and secure solution, and is barely noticeable on your handlebars.. Also, when you have the case or adaptor already attached to your phone, you can also attach it to other Quad Lock mounts available for your car, desk, motorbike, running armband or even backpack.
Another highly versatile product, this Quad Lock phone mount is adaptable with practically every Samsung or iPhone product (click here to read more about it).
hat’s it. It’s a particularly small mount so won’t take up too much space on your frame, either.
- The Lightest, Strongest & Most Secure Smartphone Bike Mount
- Patented Dual-Stage Lock keeps your smartphone secure on handlebars
- Can be rotated for over stem mounting
Best Bike Lights for Commuting
4. Cycleafer USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set (£22.52)
A commuter bicycle necessity
- Dimensions: 10.9 x 3.0 x 3.9 cm
- Weight: 150 g
- Powered with wide-beamed red and white flashing lights
If you’re cycling in the dark, you need lights for your bike. It’s the law and is incredibly important for your own safety.
Unless you have bike lights permanently fitted to your bike, having a lightweight set of bike lights that are easy to attach and remove is typically the best option for commuters.
What’s more, having USB-rechargeable bike lights is also much more convenient than having to constantly carry and replace batteries.
The Cycleafer USB BIke Light set is a really good option at a mid-range price. The lights are bright, have different flash setting and can stay powered for up to eight hours on a single charge. Importantly, they’re also very easy to put on and take off your bike and throw in your bag.
- ✔️[ DAYTIME LED TECHNOLOGY ]- Did you know the majority of cycling accidents happen in daylight? Cycleafer BIKE LIGHTS features the latest LED technology to keep you visible Not only at night but...
- ✔️ [ INSTALL IN SECONDS - NO TOOLS REQUIRED ] Clips on easily and stays on securely. Hook onto your helmet, backpack, bicycle, skateboard, scooter, stroller, wheelchair, belt or anywhere you can...
- ✔️ [ WHAT IN THE BOX ? ] - FRONT BIKE LIGHT + TAILLIGHT REAR BIKE LIGHT + 2 USB CABLE + MANUEL, Do you replace your BIKE LIGHTS SET batteries every week ? NEVER waste your money on batteries ever...
Best Bicycle Bell for Commuting
5. Knog Oi! Luxe Bike Bell (£34.48)
One of the loudest and best-looking bike bells
- Dimensions: 10.2 x 10.2 x 2.5 cm
- Weight: 90.7 g
- Fits handlebars with diameter between 23.8 mm and 31.8 mm
Bike bells tend to come as standard on bicycles these days, but it doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade it to something a little snazzier,
The Knog Oi! Bike bell range is among the most popular for cyclists due to its bold, sleek design and hearty ring.
Adaptable with a range of handlebars, it easily clips on and off them, and boasts one of the loudest bicycle bells around to boot.
One of the great hipster bicycle accessories, its wraparound design is a nice touch, and is available in a more low-profile black or a slicker silver, and in small or large size .
Best Bike Chain Cleaning Tool
6. Park Tool Cyclone Chain Scrubber (£24.99)
A handy tool to keep your chain in good shape
- Dimensions: 22.9 x 22.9 x 3.8 cm
- Weight: 340 g
- Sturdy handle to make for easy use and control
The chain is the most important part of the bike, so make sure you give it a good clean at least every two weeks (or more if you’re often riding through rain) to prevent it rusting.
Unfortunately, cleaning a chain can be fiddly and messy work, but the Park Tool Cyclonechain makes this job a lot easier (and cleaner!).
This chain cleaning tool clips around your chain and then scrubs it clean as you turn the pedals with its built-in brushes and sponges really giving it a good scrub.
Its special wicking sponge draws solvent from the chain, meaning dripping is kept to a minimum, while its sturdy handle makes it easy to use.
Chain cleaners should be considered must-have bike accessories if you want your bike to live a long and happy life.
- Works with all multi-speed bikes (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-speed)
- Sturdy handle makes the Cyclone easy to use and control
- Special wicking sponge draws solvent from the chain as it exits, minimizing drips and mess
Best Mini Bike Pump for Commuters
7. PRO BIKE TOOL Mini Bike Pump (£25.09)
A stand-out in another area of crucial commuter bicycle accessories
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm
- Weight: 96.4 g
- Available in six striking colours
Our final shout-out for cool bicycle accessories is this mini bike pump from PRO BIKE TOOL.
A bike pump is crucial for obvious reasons, but the tiny size of this pump makes it ideal for carrying on rides with you.
Available in black, red, titanium, classic edition matte black or premium edition silver or black, this is one of the more stylish bike accessories you’ll find, as well as being a reliable, durable pump made from top-range CNC-machined aluminium alloy.
You can also reach your tyres’ riding pressure with 30 per fewer strokes than most other pumps, applying pressure up to the 100 psi mark.
And at only 18.5 cm in length and 96.4 grams in weight, you’ll barely notice it when you don’t need it – but when you do, it promises to do a sterling job.
- Get Riding Back Fast - Reach riding pressure with 30% fewer pumping strokes than conventional mini bike pumps. High pressure up to 100 psi/6.9 bar.
- Super Compact And Lightweight - Only 18.5 cm long and 100 gm in weight, perfect for Size and Weight obsessed cyclists
- Reliable and Built To Last - Made from superior quality CNC machined aluminum alloy with durable and precise parts, which are built to last so you can have a safe and enjoyable ride