This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep Discerning Cyclist rolling. Learn more.
For those who commute to work, there is no better option than to complete the daily commute than by bike. You have the freedom to move around, can travel down streets and pathways that larger vehicles can’t. You can cycle between your house and public transport routes then easily hop off and on the tube, buses and trains – and it is much quicker than walking!
If cycling is your chosen way to commute then it is important that you have a great set of basic bike tools to go with your bike. This will help keep your bike in a roadworthy condition and make your rides to and from work smoother.
Here are some of the best bicycle repair kit tools that every commuter needs.
Essential Bike Tools
Every bike needs regular care and maintenance to keep it in tiptop condition so that it can remain reliable on your daily commute to and from work. Bikes are like any mechanical vehicle in this regard but lucky for you most general repairs and maintenance are fairly easy to take care of if you have the right cycle tool kit to hand.
The tools you need can vary a little depending on the type of bike you have but your bike manufacturer will be able to advise you if you need any specialist tools. Most bikes require a very similar set of tools to carry out most routine maintenance. Keep reading to find out what essential bike maintenance tools that every bike commuter needs in their bike tool kit.
Discerning Cyclist’s expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing cycling products so you don’t have to.
Testing stylish gear since 2012
Hundreds of hands-on product tests
Unfiltered opinions from experienced cyclists
What is in a Bike Mechanic’s Tool Kit?
When it comes to deciding the best tools to use, it’s always a good idea to look to the professionals for advice and taking a peek inside a bike mechanics tool kit is a great way to get a brilliant insight into the best bike tool brands and bike shop tools to add to your own bicycle tool kit.
A good mechanic will always have the following tools on hand and in their tool kits. These are used for maintenance, cleaning and for bike repairs.
- Spare inner tube
- Tyre patch kits
- Tire levers
- Bike pump – You need a hand pump and a foot pump.
- A good multi-tool
- Allen wrenches in different sizes
- Chain tool
- Screwdrivers including all standard types and sizes
- Spanners in various sizes
- Pliers including needle nose pliers
- Spoke wrench
- Duct tape
- Zip ties
- Bike lubrication
- Spare nuts and bolts
- Replacement chain links
- Spare spokes
- Cleaning supplies including rags and brushes
- Bike cassette tool
- Great for the repair work of tyres, brakes, lights & chains
- Suitable for all kinds of people like to play bicycles, motorcycles, etc.
- Come in a convenient carry / storage box.
Best Bike Multi-Tool
One of the best tools any bike owner can have is a good bicycle multi-tool. These are a versatile and flexible tool containing many of the basic tools you need to carry out any repairs or maintenance.
These are especially useful to carry in your bike commuting repair kit. Having one of an all-in-one bike tool on hand whenever you ride your bike can save you a lot of time and hassle on those occasions something goes wrong with your bike.
These tools usually come with a variety of the most commonly used tools and wrenches that will help you tighten up any nuts, bolts or carry out other repairs and maintenance on the roadside. Never leave home without one!
- High quality 6061-T6 aluminium frame with 6150 high tensile Steel tools with stainless steel carry case
- Hex wrenches: #2, 2. 5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and T25, T10 TORQ
- Screwdrivers: Philips, flat and open wrench: 8mm, 10mm
Best Bicycle Chain Tool
Other than a flat tyre one of the most common issues that occur when riding a bike is having a problem with the chain. These can come off or get damaged and you might need to remove the bike chain to carry out repairs and then rehook the chain back in place so you can carry on with your journey.
There are different types of bike chain tools available for different reasons.
If your bike chain has simply come off, a bike tool like Rehook can help you get it back on easily without getting your fingers dirty.
- Get your chain back on your bike - Without the mess! Perfect gifts for men, Fathers Day gift / present for dad / Gift Ideas. Cycling accessories
- TAKES JUST 3 SECONDS! - Great for bike maintenance / repair and racing / competition. One of the essential road bike accessories
- ATTACHES TO YOUR BIKE - so it's always ready when you need it most. Great for commuters, mountain biking, road bikes, triathlon, mountain bike accessories
Other bike chain tools can “break” the chain in order to resize or repair it. These are usually used to shorten a chain after you have used a bike chain removal tool. Once the chain has been removed you are then able to remove some chain links and then rehook the chain back together at the size you need. If your chain has been damaged you might need to remove broken links and replace them with the help of a bicycle chain tool.
Another essential bike chain tool to have in your kit is a bike chain hook. These can help you to rehook your bike chain when it comes loose or you have needed to remove it. Using a tool is far easier and a lot less messy so add one of these to the kit you take with you as well as your at-home bike repair kit.
Best Bike Puncture Repair Kits
Two of the most important things that any cyclist can have in their tool kit are an emergency puncture repair kit to take out and about on their commute and bike rides and a bike tire repair kit to have at home.
The emergency kit is there whenever you get a puncture whilst out on your bike ride and should contain some basic supplies that will get you back on the road again as quickly as possible. The second kit should be a more varied kit that can take care of bigger problems and deal with fixing the repair properly when you get home.
For the best bike puncture repair kits make sure you have the tools you need to remove the tire including;-
- Tyre levers
- A hand pump in your emergency kit and a foot pump for use at home.
- Spare inner tubes and inner tube repair kit.
- Bike tye patch kit
- A cleaning rag
- Puncture repair patches,
Many tyre puncture kits on the market can be bought containing everything you need in a carry case that makes it easy for you to pop in your bag for all those roadside emergencies.
- Cure-C-Cure patches
- 5g Rubber solution
- Glass paper, crayon and chalk
Best Bike Tool Bottle
One of the easiest ways to carry your emergency bike tool kit with you is by using a bike tool bottle. These are designed to fit perfectly into a bottle cage similar to a water bottle and then attach to your bike so that you are never without the tools and emergency supplies you need to fix your bike. A water bottle tool storage option can save you a lot of space and if it is kept on your bike at all times then you never need to worry about being without your bike tools again.
The best bottle cage tool storage is one that is waterproof and compact enough to attach to your bike without getting in your way but has enough space for the basics including a bike multi-tool, puncture repair supplies and a chain tool. These are the most common tools and supplies you will need to fix on a bike ride.
- Practical Tools Kit -- Contains a box, an air pump, a multifunctional tools kit, 6pcs glued tire patches, a metal rasp, and 2pcs tire prying up sticks, complete for safety cycling.
- A Durable Box -- Thickened tools kit box made from durable Oxford Cloth with certain solidity is not easy to deform with full load.
- A Portable Tire Pump -- The tire pump with air gauge that is easy to read and supports pressure setting, Schrader and Presta dual valve for manual changing that is easy to use.
Best Bike Wrench
Bike wrenches come in a wide variety of sizes and styles but for the best bike wrench kit make sure you have a variety of options and sizes available. With any tool kit, the key to having a great tool kit is variety. You never know what job you will need to undertake or which nuts and bolts need adjusting or tightening. A loose bolt can be dangerous and you might be unaware of it until something breaks so it is a good idea to get into the habit of giving your bike some basic maintenance every now and then.
Invest in a good multi-purpose tool and a set of bike wrenches in different sizes that allow you to apply the tension needed without causing damage.
- Precision Torque Measurement – High Torque Settings - Install components with calibrated precision - 10.0 to 60.0 Newton Meter (88 to 530 inch pounds) torque range with micro adjustment to 0.5 Nm....
- Peace Of Mind Protect Your Investment – Over-tightening bolts can cause expensive damage to your bike. Applying too little torque can lead to bolts working loose or not doing their job. Our 3/8-inch...
- Safe & Easy To Use & Read – Smooth and precise operation. Spring loaded adjustment collar automatically ‘locks’ in place at the desired torque setting, ensuring it will not accidentally slip...
Best Bike Cassette Tool
A bike cassette tool is a valuable asset to your tool kit. This is the tool that allows you to remove the bike cassette – those sprockets on the rear wheel that help you to control your gears. These might need replacing or maintenance from time to time and can be near impossible to remove without the correct tool.
When choosing the best bike cassette tool you need to consider your bike’s cassette and the size you need. Bike manufacturer details should be able to tell you the size you need.
- This Kit combination chain whip, upgrade freewheel/lockring remover wrench and and auxiliary wrench. All are in high quality, heat treated to prevent bending and flexing
- Designed to be used in conjunction with the cassette lock ring tool to remove cassettes from hubs. Sprocket Remover can also be used to tighten on screw-on freewheels. Caters for7, 8, 9 and 10 speed...
- When remove flywheel, fixed wheel to prevent from damage. Silver color chain whip with orange non-slip coated handle for comfort and ease of use. It is constructed from steel for durability
Best Bike Cleaning Tools
One of the most important yet often overlooked aspects of taking care of your bike is cleaning it. Don’t underestimate the importance of this as dirt, debris, dust and mud are all things that are not good for your bike. They can get caught in mechanisms and cause damage and rust.
Regular cleaning, especially after a particularly wet and muddy cycle ride will help you keep the need for repairs to a minimum. Invest in some bike cleaning brushes and suitable bike soap and get to work cleaning.
You might need a good degreaser but don’t forget that some parts of your bike need to be lubricated too.
- THE ULTIMATE GIFT: The Muc-Off 8 in 1 Kit is the perfect gift for any bike fanatic. We’ve bundled together a selection of our best products to clean and protect your bike.
- CLEAN YOUR BIKE: Step One in our three-step bicycle care program is Clean and we’ve got you covered with this kit that includes a bottle of our infamous pink Nano Tech Bike Cleaner.
- PROTECT YOUR BIKE: Often overlooked, Step Two is not one that you should be skipping. Protect your ride post-wash with Muc-Off Bike Protect – the ultimate liquid bike protection!
Best Bike Repair and Maintenance Kits
There are such a wide variety of tools types and then sizes of each type that it can seem daunting to build your own kit. Luckily there are plenty of great off the shelf kits ready-made for you to simply buy and use. Just don’t forget that you need to consider two kits – one for emergencies that you carry with you when cycling and another to keep t home for repairs and general maintenance.
Some kits come with two sections for this reason – complete with a bike repair tool kit and a bike maintenance tool kit included. These include all the bike repair tools you might need to carry out the inevitable repairs and then a complete bicycle maintenance kit too. If you can’t find a suitable complete tool kit then you might need to consider investing in two kits for yourself.
The best bike tool kit comes complete with all of the bike repair tools you need and some specialist tools such as a bike spoke tool or bike cassette tool. If your kit doesn’t contain everything then you might need to add a few specialist items that you are likely to need to make yours the best bike tool kit you can possibly have.
- 48 pieces: the weight is only 3.1 kg. With this tool box, almost all repairs can be performed on different types of bikes.
- HIGH QUALITY: Most tools are made of carbon steel under high temperature forging Light weight, high strength and high hardness are just as important as the size accuracy and longevity.
- Wide range of applications: Not only for conventional bicycles, but can also be used for e-bikes, scooters and other small vehicles.
Best Portable Bike Tool Kit
The best portable bike tool kit is one that you can easily take with you when on your daily commute or out on a bike ride. You can get carry cases that contain the most useful tools you are likely to need in a bike emergency. Some of these are designed to attach to your bike so they are always on hand when you need.
- Multi-function --- Socket Hex Wrench 8/9/10/mm, Slotted Screwdriver, cross Screwdriver, Socket Extension Rod, Solid Wrench 8/ 10/15/mm, Hex Key Wrench 2/2.5/3/4/5/6mm, Spoke Wrench
- Tire repair helper --- With 2 Tire levers and patch kit, 1 Metal rasp, 2 Woods valve rubber bands
- Strong and Handy --- Be well made in steel, fine workmanship, durable, stronger and more effective
Best Bike Pumps
Having a good bike pump or two available is a vital part of bike maintenance and an important part of your tool kit. You will need to have a good hand or portable bike pump to carry with you on your daily bike commute so that you can easily get yourself back up and running if you get a flat tyre. A mini-bike pump should work brilliantly for this. These are often hand pumps that can be used anywhere without too much hassle.
A foot pump or even an electric bike pump can be a useful addition to your kit at home to make pumping up tyres a little easier when carrying our any repairs or maintenance.
Best Bike Tool Bag
Once you have collected all the tools and equipment you need to have a great bike repair and maintenance kit then you need to have a good bag to put it all in! There are a few methods you can choose to keep your tools in order and free from damage.
A bicycle tool bag is a great option to carry all your tools and have them easily accessible. Pick a bag made from sturdy material with reinforced handles and if possible one with a lot of pockets to store smaller items. There is nothing worse than rooting through a bag trying to find a tool when you need it.
A bicycle tool roll or bike tool pouch can help you keep your tools in order and roll up into a relatively small and easy to store package. These contain pockets to pup your tools in and then roll them up for storage until you need them
Whatever bike tool storage you choose make sure it fits the space you have available to store it and can be stored somewhere out of the damp and easily accessible for the times you need it.