If you deem your workplace too far away to cycle to, then there’s a good chance you find the first or last part of your commute the most challenging – especially if you work in a city.
In busy towns and cities, it can be difficult (and/or expensive) to park your car anywhere near your office. Or, if you commute by bus or train for the majority of your journey, then you’ve got to hope that both your home and workplace are nice and close to the next station.
Therefore, it can be useful to have an easily storable mode of transport to hand. And that is exactly why folding bikes have exploded in popularity in the past couple of decades. They small, pretty easy to carry and don’t take up a lot of space when they’ve been folded up. You can keep it under your desk at work, in the boot of your car, or even in the luggage rack on a train.
Benefits of Folding Bikes
You can get a compact folding bike to ride to your train/car, then fold up and carry onto the train/car. Folding bikes are a highly practical option which is why so many have turned to them to help them get to work. A folding bike is easy to store, both at home and when you get to the office and you don’t need to worry about finding space in the bike carriage or any extra charges you might have to pay on the train. You simply fold up your bike and carry it on as hand luggage.
Folding Bikes: Pros & Cons
|Folding Bike Pros||Folding Bike Cons|
|Extremely practical||Not the fastest|
|Easy to store/carry||Not always as comfortable as a “normal” bike|
However, even the best options can come with problems of their own. Folding bikes are perfect for what they are designed for, but they are not quite like riding a normal bike. They are often very lightweight which makes them easy to carry but this means that you lose some specification in other areas such as fewer gears and a design that isn’t as comfortable nor as speedy as you might be used to. One of the biggest areas a folding bike might be a little more difficult is in how easy the ride is. You can often find that these bikes are a little more difficult to pedal causing you to work harder than necessary on your commute to work.
Folding E-Bikes: The Perfect Solution?
We do have a solution to this problem. In order to add a bit more speed and efficiency to your foldable ride, you can actually get folding electric bikes. Such folding e-bikes are typically a little bit heavier and a tad more expensive than regular foldable bikes, but they make cycling a lot faster and easier – and therefore less likely to be sweaty mess when you arrive at your destination!
Electric foldable bikes have become an innovation that is now helping commuters everywhere get to work. A folding electric bicycle is usually a little heavier than many other types of folding bikes but it is well worth carrying the extra weight. Especially when you get the benefit of electric assistance while on your ride. This is perfect for people who have a fairly long bike ride with a few hills on the way to the train station.
We have taken a look at some of the best electric folding bikes in the UK and have put together this list for you to take a look at.
The Best Folding Electric Bikes under £1000
This bike is proof that you don’t need to be limited by an electric bike. It is designed to be a hybrid mountain bike that can ride up and down hills and across different road terrains with ease. In addition, it also folds away. It is hard to find an electric folding bike that has as many features as this one which makes it one of the best, if not the best electric folding bike under £1000 that we have found.
- This is a hybrid bike that is fun to use and compact to store.
- Metal frame made from aluminium alloy for strength and durability.
- 21-speed gear system.
- Weighs 27kg so while this is on the heavier side you can still pick it up and carry it on and off a train if you need.
- The mileage the electric system can travel is between 25 and 50km.
- Maximum speed is 25km an hour – perfect for a bike ride or your daily commute.
- Powerful power system: this electric city bike equipped with a 36V 288Wh lithium ion front battery and a stable 250 W motor. The maximum speed is 15.5mph, and each charge can reach a range of 15-30...
- Good ground adaptability: front and rear mechanical disc brakes and professional 21-speed Shimano gear system improve the bike’s adaptability to the ground. The 26-inch spoke wheels feature...
- Convenient design: The bicycle can be folded in half, and the folding size is about 92 cms x 88 cms, which is convenient for you to store or carry it with the car during a long journey; it achieves...
This bike is a diverse design to allow you to use it however you need. It comes with three working modes, normal, electric and power so you can adjust the level of assistance you need for your bike ride. If you don’t have a lot of storage space or don’t have the ability to attach bike racks to your car then this bike is perfect. You can fold it away and pop it into your boot and take it anywhere with ease.
With a top speed of 25km per hour and a travel ability of between 25 and 50km this bike can take you anywhere.
- This is one of the best folding e-bikes available. It folds to a compact size enabling you to use it to commute or travel.
- Comes with double suspension for a more comfortable ride.
- A hybrid bike that is perfect for like trails, riding through parks and on different roads.
- Comes with an easy to use meter to switch modes.
- Charges within 4 to 6 hours.
- Three Modes to Meet Diverse Needs: There are three working modes, among which are normal mode, electric mode and power assistance mode. The modes can be switched at any time and just enjoy your trip...
- More Flexible Design: Compact and lightweight, this lovely bike is foldable and can be taken away after folding and put in the trunk of a car. Adjustable handlebars and saddle heights suitable for...
- Brake and Gear Shift System: Electric folding bike is equipped with mechanical disc brakes on the front and rear, and that features it perfect climbing ability and high shock absorption, and achieve...
This is a 20” tire version of other Ancheer folding bikes and is a great example of a folding bike that offers a little more comfort than smaller versions. There might be a little lost in how compact this bike is but it remains practical enough to fold up and pop into the boot of your car making it a great bike for day trips and holidays.
At 22kg this is still a bike that is light enough to be folded up and used as a commuter bike. With its lithium battery giving between 25 and 50km electric assistance – perfect to ensure you don’t break too much of a sweat on the way to work.
- The frame is made from aluminium alloy enabling a lightweight design.
- A 9-speed gear system to give you a little extra help on your bike ride.
- Battery charges in 4 to 6 hours and lasts for about 25 -50km.
- The bike comes with front and rear brakes
- Designed to be user friendly with handles to help you carry the bike when it is folded and a rear rack to carry your bag.
- Front shock-absorbent fork for a comfortable ride.
- COLLAPSIBLE FRAME: The electric bicycle adopts 100 percent lightweight aluminum alloy collapsible frame for quick folding and easy storage. You can have it with minimal storage space and easily store...
- BRAKE & PREMIUM QUALITY: Front and rear disc brakes fully protect your safety. The front fork is made of high-strength carbon steel and packed with premium comfort shock absorption, double layer...
- 3 WORKING MODES: E-bike & Assisted bicycle & Normal bike. With the LED 3-speed smart meter button, you can choose the electric assist power according to your needs. You can add a burst of speed with...
This lightweight folding electric bike made by Himo is on this list because it contains all of the features you could possibly want for a folding e-bike. The 6-speed gear system allows you to adjust your ride and with a battery hidden in the frame, it also comes with electric assist to make life a little easier on your commute to work.
The folding frame is 20 inches and made from lightweight materials which makes the total weight of the bike including the battery about 22kg. Perfect for folding up and taking on the train or bus with you.
- The bike has three modes that are easy to switch between. Pedal power, electric-assist and full electric motor.
- Up to 50km electric mileage – you can go anywhere you want on this bike!
- According to the seller of this bike, it can go up to 15 – 20km per hour.
- This is a lightweight electric bike at just 21.1kg..
- 6-speed Shimano gear system to make your ride a little easier.
- Folding Electric Bicycle for Mopeds Folding Electric Bicycles for Adults 25 km/h Bicycle 250 W Guide Motor Brushless Continuous 80km Load Capacity 100 kg☸☸High-quality Frame:C20 has a patented...
- ☸☸Three Switchable Riding Mode:C20 has both electric power and human power support, three riding modes. The pure electric mode meets daily commuting, and manpower or electric assist riding can...
- ☸☸For Shimano Variable Speed Drive:C20 features a 6-speed shifting system that adjusts the riding speed by adjusting the size of the front and rear sprocket wheels. With a 250W DC brushless motor,...
Best Folding Electric Bike Under £500
When it comes to budget bikes you usually have to find the areas you are willing to compromise on. When it comes to folding bikes you can still have the main features you want and have an electric-assisted bike too. This is our favourite cheap folding electric bike available in the budget range.
For a budget bike, this one has a sleek look that makes it seem like it costs more than it does and the benefits of this bike do not stop there. With duel brake discs for safety, a lightweight and easy to fold design and an inbuilt battery providing an electric assist function with three separate modes. This is a budget range bike that has everything you could want. If you are looking for a lower-priced electric folding bike to try out for your daily commute then this is a great option to consider.
- This is advertised as a lightweight bike at just 21kg and has a compact folding system for easy storage and carrying.
- The bike has three modes you can choose from. You can choose electric, power assist or pedal power depending on your needs.
- Dual disc brakes give more stable braking that is more effective too.
- Comes with a 250w brushless motor and a 36v lithium battery.
- With electric assist the bike as an up to 50km mileage.
- The battery charges in approximately 5 hours.
The Lightest Folding Electric Bike
Weight is one of the most important things to consider when it comes to choosing a folding bike and an electric one is no different. With the addition of a motor and battery, these bikes are a little heavier than their pedal-powered relatives but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a lightweight one such as this one made by Btwin.
At just 18.6kg this bike is one of the lighter electric folding bikes we could find and this is an impressive weight for a bike that contains so many features and a great specification. This might be a lightweight bike but it is sturdy too and can take your daily commute with ease. You can even use it at the weekend for enjoyable bike rides. The electric-assist motor is part pedal-powered meaning that you get a little extra help whenever you ride the bike.
- Easy folding design that takes just 30 seconds to fold away completely.
- This bike is designed to be able to used on roads and then folded up to fit easily into lifts, caravans, cars and on public transport.
- Powerful V-brake callipers included with the bike.
- The battery can last for up to 35km.
- The electric motor and 24v battery are built into the frame.
- This bike can be folded down to a compact 83 x 67 x 45cm.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame.
- 8-speed gear system to make your ride a little easier and more comfortable.
Budget Buster: Best Electric Brompton Folding Bike
If you’re not a strict budget when it comes to choosing an electric folding bike then we have a treat for you to consider. This one by well-known folding bike manufacturer Brompton is our pick for the best fold up electric bike available.
This bike is a wonderful example of a folding bike with electric power assist. Each bike made by Brompton is handmade in London to a high quality. With high standards of manufacture, great design and fantastic specification come with a high price tag and this is the highest-priced bike on our list of the best electric folding bikes.
If you are looking for an electric Brompton bike then this is the one for you. The small and lightweight bike has been designed for your ease and comfort both while riding it and when it is folded up. You can ride up hills with ease and traverse through cities and traffic jams with ease on your daily commute.
- Made with a steel frame for a sturdy design.
- 6-speed gear system included making your ride easier and more comfortable.
- A Brompton 250W motor and Lithium-Ion battery provide assistance for up to 25k per hour
- Super lightweight at 16.6kg including the battery and motor. You get the best of all worlds with this bike.
- A patented folding design that ensures you can fold your bike away fast and then carry it onto public transport with ease.
- Office-Friendly Clothing for Bike Commuters [ULTIMATE STYLE GUIDE] - December 1, 2021
- DUER All-Weather Denim – Review [WATERPROOF CYCLING JEANS TESTED] - November 25, 2021
- The World’s First TRULY Waterproof Cycling Jeans? - November 22, 2021