One of the big challenges that helmet users face is carrying around their helmet when they are not using it. Unless your carrying a very spacious bag (that’s already not full), chances are, you’ll end up lugging around most helmets in your hand.
And that’s exactly why folding bike helmets have exploded in popularity in recent years. You’ve still got your protection when you need it, but when you’re off the bike, you can collapse it down so that it’s easier to store.
In a nutshell, folding bike helmets are the modern-day cyclist’s dream. Not only are they simply more ideal – you can fold them away into your bag straight after cycling – but they also look great, they are just as secure as normal helmets, and they don’t carry too much weight, either.
Are Foldable Bike Helmets Safe?
There is no fundamental reason why a foldable bike helmet can’t be safe. However, like all helmets, the protective function can only be assured if the helmet has been certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) for regular bike helmets. Helmets that pass testing will have a CPSC sticker inside.
✨ Win a £100 Rapha Voucher 👉 Complete our 1-min Cycling Lifestyle Survey
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Learn more here.
Best Foldable Bike Helmets
Sure, they might cost you a fair bit more than your usual helmet, but it’s always better to be than safe than sorry, and you can’t underestimate the importance of comfort and quality when it comes to keeping you well-protected while out on your bike.
Here’s Discerning Cyclist’s guide to the three best foldable bike helmets of 2021. These are sure to satisfy your every cycling need, keeping you safe on your commute to work or just while cycling for pleasure, while looking great and not weighing you down at the same time:
Most Stylish Folding Bike Helmet
This helmet has almost everything you need. First off, it’s extremely safe – it will stay locked on to your head, even in the event of a collision. But it also won’t feel too heavy either; medium-sized helmets weight at just 340g, and large at only 375g.
We’ve reviewed Closca before and they’re now on their third generation helmet – which is getting significantly better every time.
It’s also a particularly adjustable design; when folded, it reduces in volume by 45 per cent, which takes less than a second to do. Its design also comes with an elastic band, so no matter what your head size is, you can make it fit comfortably.
Not only this, but the Closca also has its own ventilation system, proving you with a constant air flow. You can also choose up to 15 combinations of colours to personalise your helmet before ordering.
What more could you want from your bike helmet?
- DOUBLE SAFETY CERTIFICATE: a completely safe bike helmet, our Closca Helmet Loop bike helmet meets the strictest safety standards EN1078 and CPSC, valid for Europe, Asia, USA and Canada. Its patented...
- FOLDABLE AND COMFORTABLE: a foldable, light and comfortable bike helmet. Designed to go with your urban style and lifestyle. The most comfortable bike helmet for urban living. Its Air Flow ventilation...
- LIGHT AND ADJUSTABLE: A bike helmet that folds up to 50% of its size in less than a second so you can take it with you, in your everyday life. It weighs less than 400g. The elastic rear band means the...
Best-Designed Collapsible Bike Helmet (Potentially)
NOTE: I wouldn’t recommmend pre-ordering the Park&Diamond collapsible helmet right now as they seem to be having a lot of production problems and delays.
If you’re after a more fashionable look, the Park & Diamond helmet might be the one for you.
The company, based in Brooklyn, caused quite a stir on Indiegogo this year, raising over $2 million for their stylish folding helmets for cyclists.
Weighing only 8oz, this collapsible bike helmet is designed for extreme comfort and looks almost exactly a classic baseball cap.
The skin of the helmet is replaceable and its layers are hand-washable, meaning you’ll not only look great, but feel great with this folding bike helmet on your head during your cycle.
It could be amazing, but let’s wait to see if it ever completes production.
The award-winning Morpher foldable helmet is simple and brilliant.
It takes seconds to collapse and when it does, it measures just 35 x 20 x 6.5cm – meaning it shouldn’t be too bulky in any bag.
Importantly, it also protects your head too and is certified to the recommended CE EN1078 safety standard. A good all-rounder.
- Multi award-winning Morpher is perfect for cyclists, commuters, bike-share users and anyone who travels on vacation or business
- Safe, quick and convenient, Morpher easily opens and then folds flat almost instantly; magnets keep it securely closed when not in use
- Certified to CE EN1078 safety standard; fits head sizes between 52-58cm (20.5 - 22.8 inches)
Best Value Folding Helmet for Cyclists
Whether you’re a commuting cyclist, a mountain biker or just a casual cyclist, no matter what type of cycling you are interested in, this folding bike helmet will have you sorted.
It folds to size 21 x 11 x 16 cm in seconds, becoming a third of its original volume, so will fit comfortably into your bag, and its adjustable straps again mean you can fix it to accommodate your head size, as well as coming with chin protection.
Weighing 440g for the small to medium helmets and 490g for the large to extra-large, it also comes with a fabric pouch enabling you to transport it easily while keeping it safe and secure.
- Folds down to one third of its original size
- ABS hard-shell faceplate with special foam for high protection level
- Includes 3 pad sets and a new fit band to adjust to your exact head size, providing comfort and protection
Alternative Idea: Airbag Bike Helmet
If you’re not a fan of wearing a bike helmet, there is one smart alternative that can still protect your head if you have a crash.
The Hövding 3 is an inflatable “bike helmet”. I mean, it’s not really a helmet. You clip it around your neck like a neck warmer and if you’re inforunate enough to be in an accident, the airbag will instantly pop around your head to protect your most vital organ.
- The Hövding is worn around the neck. The integrated sensors trigger the airbag in the event of a fall
- Scientific studies have shown that airbag technology is 8x safer than classic bicycle helmets
- It is designed exclusively for urban cycling and should only be activated on the bike. Minimum age for Hövding is 15 years
Discover Cool Cycling Accessories
- Best Earphones for Cycling
- Best Smartwatches for Cycling
- Bike Locks
- Bike Lights
- 51 Gift Ideas for Cyclists (under £40)
- 2021 Cycling Lifestyle Survey: Win a £100 Rapha Voucher - April 21, 2021
- Champagne Rides: A Chat with Didsbury Bicycle Hire’s Ashleigh Otten [COMPETITION] - April 20, 2021
- What is the Best Bike for Cycling to Work? [VISUAL GUIDE] - April 9, 2021