We all know the basic fundamentals of a bike helmet. It goes on top of your head, it tries to protect your bonce while you ride, and even if they don’t always look great, or if you rarely actually need yours to come to your rescue, they offer an invaluable service.
Not every helmet has to weigh heavy on your head, though. Indeed, in the case of lighter cycling headgear, you may hardly notice it as you ride, even while it does its utmost to shield your noggin.
If that’s the kind of helmet which appeals to you, check out these seven recommendations of ours for a lighter, smoother fit for less than £100:
NOTE: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. This helps to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
First of all, a disclaimer. Yes, the price range in the title exceeds the £100 mark, but only when you buy this helmet in velvet black (one of ten colours) and in medium (one of three sizes) will you spend more than this at £106.96.
A lightweight, durable model thanks to its EPS and PC shell, it also comes with bottom edge protection and optimal ventilation through its seven air inlets and 16 air outlets.
And if you’re sporting a ponytail, no problem – this is one of the few lightweight bike helmets which is actually compatible with braid-wearers for once.
And… there’s 10 different colours available!
- Safe for every race: lightweight yet solid road bike helmet with durable combination of EPS and PC shell - individual fit thanks to Zoom Ace adjustment system with precise adjustment wheel
- Good visibility on the bicycle: thanks to bright reflectors, the helmet is also recognised from a distance. Available in many colours
- Finely tuned ventilation system: good ventilation thanks to 7 air inlets and 16 air outlets - Forced Air Cooling Technology for a pleasant head climate
Available in six stylish colours and four different sizes, this Giro helmet is about as breathable as you can find, with 25 wind tunnel vents with internal channelling.
As well as this, it boasts an in-mould polycarbonate shell with EPS lining, a four-piece polycarbonate interlocking hard body shell, and CoolFit anti-microbial padding and its highly adjustable Roc Loc 5 Air MIPS system allows for a more luxurious feel.
Lots of colour options available.
- 25 Wind Tunnel vents with internal channelling
- In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner
- Four-piece polycarbonate interlocking Hard body shell
The second-lightest helmet on our list is this Met Strale helmet, boasting both internal air-channelling and an anti-pinch buckle on the chin strap. It’s particularly perfect for mountain bikers but could also be considered one of the lightest commuter bike helmets, too.
What’s more, its inner shell is made of shock-absorbing polystyrene, with an in-mould outer shell, and its Safe-T Duo helmet retention system allows you to fit it perfectly for you both horizontally and vertically.
- In-mould outer shell construction and shock absorbing polystyrene inner shell
- Anti-pinch chin-strap buckle
- Safe-T Duo fit for horizontal and vertical adjustment
But the lightest bicycle helmet of all here is this BBB Tithon at just 100g, which has been wind tunnel-tested to find the best balance between aerodynamics and thermodynamics, making it as safe as possible and optimising the airflow in the process.
Indeed, its airflow cooling system help make it a more breathable helmet, as do its five air vents, its Venturi Channel, and quick-dry padding.
Its adjustable, light straps and multi-angle strap dividers also enhance the level of comfort you’ll feel, while its Omega fit system adjusts for height and circumference to guarantee the ideal fit for you.
And if you’re thinking, ‘Well, that’s all great, but how well will it protect my head?’, have no fear. Thanks to its double in-mould shell and high-density EPS foam, you’ll be well-guarded with 360-degree innovation, too.
- WIND TUNNEL TESTED: made to be the best balance between aerodynamics and Thermodynamics, this helmet optimizes lightweight safety features and Masters airflow
- KEEP COOL: Airflow Cooling System (ACS) design, five air vents, a Ventura Channel, and quick-dry padding keep you cool and allow for breathability from the inside out
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPSs: lightweight adjustable straps allow for a perfect fit. Multi-Angle strap Dividers ensure you are comfortable as you ride
With 20 gorgeous designs to choose from, you’ll no doubt find the perfect design for you with this ABUS helmet, available in medium, large or extra-large.
Its bright reflectors and neat rear light enhance your visibility while riding with it, and its handy fly net acts as the perfect deterrent to insects.
Made of EPS, with an injected outer shell, this is an another sturdy helmet made to last, too. Plus, it’s ponytail-compatible – so those of you sporting straggly locks needn’t worry.
Over 20 colours available.
- The perfect helmet for everyday use: city helmet with ABS hard shell and fly net - individual fit thanks to the Zoom Ace Urban adjustment system
- Always clearly visible on the bike: equipped with a high-mounted, rechargeable LED rear light with 180° visibility - high visibility thanks to bright reflectors
- Finely tuned ventilation system: ideal ventilation thanks to 5 air inlets and 8 air outlets
Best Lightweight Bike Helmet Under £50:
Available in velvet black, race black, race white or race grey (and in medium or large), this ABUS model offers excellent ventilation thanks to its ten air inlets and three outlets which connect with the airflow channels.
Another ‘in-mould’ helmet, its visor is also removable if you so wish, as is its washable cover, while it also offers a superb rotary adjustment system with an integrated tail light for that little bit extra security while you cycle.
- Manufactured in the in-mould procedure
- Removable visor
- Very good ventilation - 10 air inlets and 3 air outlets, connected with airflow channels (fly screen the front opening)
Best Lightweight Bike Helmet Under £30:
Whether in black, green, purple or white, this PHZING lightweight helmet is perfect for both genders and many types of bike. It’s made of sturdy PC material made to last, with a shell thickness of 0.7mm and materials including impact-resistant, ultra-light EPS foam.
It also offers a rechargeable LED taillight with three modes – ‘always on’, ‘fast flash’ or ‘slow flash’ – which will keep you seen at night, and 23 integrated flow vents to keep it breathable.
You can also detach its visor, which does a fine job itself of blocking the sunlight on brighter days, while its side straps and one-touch buckle adjustment system offer this helmet a great deal in the way of adjustability.
- 🏂[IMPACT RESISTANCE MATERIAL]: Tough and durable PC material will surely improve safe performance,Imported EPS foam impact resistant composite ultra-light material, the thickness of the shell...
- 🚵[RECHARGEABLE TAIL LIGHT ]: This cycling helmet equip with 3 lighting modes Led Rechargeable taillight for the safety of riding at night - Always On,Fast Flash,Slow Flash will help people behind...
- 🏂[SPECIALIZED BIKE HELMET ]: PHZING bike helmet suitable for city, road, electric, trek, triathlon or mountain bike and etc, This helmet is specially designed for adults both men and women...
- Do Self-Charging Electric Bikes Exist? - June 18, 2021
- Does Cycling Improve Blood Circulation? [ANALYSIS] - June 17, 2021
- Velio 2021: A New 3-Day Cycling Festival at a Cheshire Castle - June 4, 2021