This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep Discerning Cyclist rolling. Learn more.
With the cold snap of winter now well and truly upon us, there’s never been a better time to buy a cycling neck warmer if you’re regularly out on your bike.
An invaluable item of clothing for cyclists, they offer another strong, sturdy layer of protection against the weather, and can keep your neck, chin, nose, cheeks and ears nice and toasty (depending on how high up choose to wear yours, of course).
Not only that, but if you wear it over your mouth, it will protect your lungs by adding another breathable membrane which will minimise the impact of the freezing air.
Here are five of our favourites, including the sports snood, the cycling Buff snood and the more traditional neck warmer, all available for highly affordable prices:
Why You Can Trust Us
Discerning Cyclist’s expert reviewers spend hours testing and comparing cycling products so you don’t have to.
Testing stylish gear since 2012
Hundreds of hands-on product tests
Unfiltered opinions from experienced cyclists
Top 5: Cycling Face Masks + Snoods
Best Cycling Neckwarmers, Snoods and Face Masks
1. Respro Ultralight Cycling Mask (£46.98)
Available in four colours (black, blue, pink and red), the Respro Techno Mask is the ideal anti-pollution mask for cyclists, providing filtration protection against the most common pollutants and dusts an urban cyclist is likely to face thanks to it’s HepA-type filter.
It’s made from hypo-allergenic Neoprene and so it comfortble and secure in fit.
- Made from a fully breathable 4-way technical stretch fabric
- Easy Velcro fastening
- Formable metal nose clip
2. Merino Buff Neck Warmer Snood (£18.88)
- Made from 100 per cent natural merino wool, which will keep you warm in cold conditions and limits moisture to keep you cool.
- Its natural fabric is extremely soft and odour and water-resistant, so you will stay fresh and dry while wearing this, too.
- Seamless stitching to reduce irritation (e.g. from chaffing), but won’t lose its shape or durability, either.
Whether bought in black, plum or cru, this classic Buff neckwarmer also has plenty of different uses, including as a face mask, balaclava or as a simple scarf.
- Wide range of wearing styles and possibilities. Enjoy versatility and freedom in one product.
- UltraStretch technology: highly stretchable product designed for top comfort and performance.
- Protect yourself against the ultraviolet radiations from the sun. Designed for best protection in sunny environments.
3. PACK OF SIX: YouGa Neck Snood (£7.64)
- Comprised of headbands, bandanas, balaclavas and more, making them ideal for much more than just riding your bike. They can also be folded in numerous ways to become head wraps or headbands, depending on what sort of protection from the cold you prefer.
- Offer great comfort, breathability and can stretch a fair amount due to their seamless, microfibre polyester design.
- Can fit most neck sizes (measures roughly 25 cm x 50 cm, weighs about 180g).
For a bargain set of six pieces of headwear, available in 29 different designs, this selection from YouGa offers exceptional value for money.
- 🍀UNIQUE DESIGN: Rich colors and patterns to choose from, The pattern of the face mask is very classic, It can satisfy a variety of fashion pursuit. PACKAGE INCLUDE: 6Headbands. No repeat.
- 🍀MULTIFUNCTION: The headwear can be used as a hat, headband, hair band, scarf, wrist and other means of use. It is also perfect for various sports and outdoor. This item makes a great gift for...
- 🍀BREATHABLE & STRETCHABLE: Made out of 100% microfiber a highly breathable and moisture wicking material that stretches well when pulled so it doesn't feel too tight on your head. They are...
4. CYCL Face Guard – Anti-Pollution Scarf Cycling Face Mask (£39.90)
- Its adjustable nose strip and elastic closure minimises air leakage and enhances its level of comfort.
- Unlike other carbon-based pollution masks with replaceable filters, this designs is ready to be used straight away as a result of its integrated PM2.5 nanofibre filter.
- Offers great breathability thanks to its hand-washable cotton and nanofibre membrane, which also makes it a far more durable product, too.
A more advanced piece of kit for a little extra in cost, this anti-pollution, one-size-fits-all scarf from Face Guard offers protection from smog, dust, and allergens, as well as simultaneously keeping your neck warm when cycling in low temperatures.
Read the full CYCL Anti-Pollution Face Guard review here.
- INTEGRATED AIR FILTER: Tube scarf with integrated nanofiber filter. Filters 99.5% of PM0.1 and 99.9% of PM2.5
- Protection from pollution, smog, dust, allergens, pollen.
- Washable and reusable up to 50 washes
5. Alpinestars Neck Warmer Base Layer Headband (£11.14)
An especially soft, four-way-stretch, reverse micro-fleece with a seamless collar edge, you could keep your neck warm whatever the weather for a snip at just £9.18 with this Alpinestars design.
- Stretchable to allow for a more comfortable fit.
- One-size-fits-all design.
- Moisture wicking for comfort
- Stretches for a comfortable fit
- Ideal for protecting against wind-chill
Discover More Winter Cycling Gear