It’s always a great benefit to protected from wet conditions when out on your bike. If you’re a commuter especially, the last thing you want is to turn up to work drenched.
And even if you’re dressed in ‘normal’ clothes which aren’t designed especially for cycling, and aren’t water-resistant, then don’t worry. Durable water repellent (DWR spray) will show you how to make clothing waterproof.
NOTE: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive commissions for purchases made through those links, at no cost to you. This helps to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Best Waterproof Spray for Clothes
How to Make Clothing Waterproof
Given most waterproof clothes lose their effect with wear and tear anyway, waterproof spray for clothes is the next best thing, at least from a cost-effective point of view.
Here are the three best fabric waterproofing sprays in the business right now.
Best Water Repellent Sprays
Designed especially to ‘re-waterproof’ your clothes, this waterproof fabric spray is great both for resisting water and stains, too.
Best served for clothes and shoes, a routine re-spray every so often with this Muc-Off design will prevent a soaking when you’re next out cycling through the rain.
An effective waterproof spray for clothes and likely the bestwaterproofing spray for jackets.
- Colourless when dry, naturally air curing
- 100% Hydrophobic water repellency with oil and stain protection
- Safe on breathable fabrics - No effect to flexibility or breathability
Not only will this waterproofing spray from Nikwax keep your clothes waterproof, it also adds some much-needed breathability back in to them, too.
Spray it on, then leave to dry. As long as the whole item of clothing is covered, you’ll be set in no time with this on your clothes. A really good DWR spray.
- Adds or renews water repellency and revives breathability
- Prolongs the life of gear and optimises outdoor performance
- Easy spray-on application method for clothing with wicking liners
Perfect for tents and rucksacks as well as clothes and shoes, this spray offers more innovative protection by using nanotechnology.
It can repel water, oil and stains, and doesn’t cause any change of colour, either. What’s more, it has a UV sunscreen, which reduces the amount of fading and degradation caused, so your clothes will stay fresher for longer.
- Office-Friendly Clothing for Bike Commuters [ULTIMATE STYLE GUIDE] - December 1, 2021
- DUER All-Weather Denim – Review [WATERPROOF CYCLING JEANS TESTED] - November 25, 2021
- The World’s First TRULY Waterproof Cycling Jeans? - November 22, 2021