If you are going to leave your bicycle outside for any significant period of time – especially in cold and wet weather – a good waterproof bike cover is an essential piece of kit to prevent your bicycle getting rusty and damaged.
Indeed, it’s not just rain that you need to protect your bike from, dust is also detrimental to your bike’s performance, especially when it clogs up the chain.
Do I Need a Waterproof Bicycle Cover?
Absolutely! The best waterproof bike cover(s) will massively increase its shelf life, and will mean you’ll have far less time and money on bicycle maintenance – so it actually saves you money in the long term.
Outdoor Bike Cover: Key Features
For all bicycle covers, waterproof qualities are essential. But here are some other pointers for you when deciding which to invest in:
- What material is it made of? And can it still keep your bike well-covered in even the most treacherous of conditions (particularly handy for those of us in the UK).
- How colourful is it? To some people, this may not matter – bike covers aren’t seen as much of a fashion statement, anyway. In fact, plain black may be advisable given they will stand out less.
- Is it packable? If it can be fitted away neatly into its own bag/storage compartment, that’s far more convenient than, say, having to carry it with you everywhere.
- Does it have grab handles? These can help when both adding and removing the cover, and also just for knowing the right way to position the cover if it otherwise seems unclear.
- Does it have sealed seams? This can particularly improve the cover’s waterproof qualities.
- Is it lockable? Covers which have stitched lock holes rather than metal ones are generally a better bet given they won’t rust away.
- Does it have reflective qualities? This will obviously be hugely beneficial if you cycle through the dark, say on your daily commutes during the winter months.
- Is it rip-proof? You want a sturdy, durable bike cover, not one which will tear with even the slightest bit of pressure applied.
- Does it have ventilation holes? These are important – they reduce the amount of sweat and moisture which stick to the cover.
What Size Bike Cover Do I Need?
Think bigger than standard or smaller size. It’s better to end up with an oversized bike cover than one which doesn’t adequately shield the entirety of your bicycle.
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Learn more here.
Top 5: Best Bike Rain Covers
Best Outdoor Bicycle Cover You Can Lock
The ideal bike cover for outside use
- Colours: Camouflage, Ciel Blue, Forest Green, Ink Black, Pavement Grey
- Material: RipStop fabric
- Size: 220 x 140 x 120 cm, fits handlebars up to 65cm
If you’re looking for a bicycle waterproof cover that is a little easier on the eye and packs up nice and small, then BikeParka may be the one for you.
This lightweight rain cover stretches snugly around your bike and is made from ripstop fabric. BikeParka weighs just 499g and thanks to its slim fit design, makes it less likely to flap or even blow away in the wind.
Plus, it boasts sealed seams, Velco lock-through panels for secure protection, and can be packed away into the sturdy ‘Stuff Sac’, which easily attaches to your bike frame.
BikeParka Waterproof Bicycle Covers: URBAN v STASH
The URBAN isn’t Bike Parka’s only quality cover, though – there’s also the hugely popular ‘STASH’ design.
There isn’t much between them – they’re both 220cm long, 140cm high and fit handlebars up to 65cm, for a start.
But with its X slot with which to lock your bike to keep it safe (therefore better in non-secure locations), you might find that the URBAN just has the edge. Both, though, are among the best bike covers for outdoor storage.
Cheap Bike Rain Cover: Best under £20
Best bike cover for less than £20
- Colour: Silver
- Materials: 190T nylon, with 190T silver/black polyester cloth included
- Size: 230 x 130 x 30 cm
The cheapest on this list, this silver Aival design is arguably the best bicycle cover in terms of value for money.
Its double-stitched hems with heat seamed sealing prevent water from leaking through, while it easily covers the whole bicycle. Plus, its high density and durability will protect your bike against rips, scratches and the elements.
It also comes with security eyelets at the front, allowing the cover to be locked to the bike via the front wheel, and a storm strap at the rear, to keep the cover in place.
Its elastic bottom hems make it particularly easy to use, and a drawstring waterproof bag is included for storage, so it is simple to pack away and transport with you, too.
Lockable Heavy Duty Bicycle Cover
Best waterproof bicycle cover in terms of flexibility
- Colours: Black, Blue
- Materials: Double-stitched oxford 210D fabric
- Sizes: 150 x 60 x 85 cm (smallest), 180 x 75 x 110 cm (largest)
Available in either black or blue, this bicycle cover from Goose is both lockable at the front wheel and made from quality, double-stitched, Oxford 210D fabrics.
With this cover, your bike can be safely stored outside, freeing up valuable space, while remaining well-protected. A drawstring pouch is also included for compact storage, while the storm strap at the rear will keep it in place on windy days, and its ‘Ripstop’ material does exactly what it says on the tin – stops rips.
And as well as the multiple choice of colour, it is also available in a number of different sizes: small, medium, large, extra-large and ‘extra-large extra-wide’. So, no matter how big or small your bike is, there will no doubt be a Goose cover to fit and protect it properly.
Budget Double Bike Cover under £20
Best cheap double outside bike cover
- Colour: Green
- Materials: Nylon, Polyurethane, Polyvinyl Chloride
- Size: 200 x 70 x 110 cm
Not only is this ODSPTER bicycle cover waterproof similarly well-priced, but it can also cover not one bicycle, but two.
Its 200 x 70 x 110 cm build means it can fit two bikes of up to 24” wheel size together, and again, its strong, waterproof design will protect your bicycle(s) from rips and scratches and provide good bike rain cover.
Its two belt buckles on the middle and bottom edges also mean the wind won’t blow it away, either, while its heat-sealed seams offer great protection in adverse weather. A hole at the bottom makes an ideal place to fit your bike lock through, too.
It’s also exceptionally easy to clean with a damp cloth, and comes with a high-quality drawstring bag, so packing it away when you don’t need it isn’t a problem, either.
Waterproof Bicycle Cover for 2 Bikes on a Car Rack
One of the best bike covers for 1, 2 or 3 bikes
- Colours: Black
- Material: Polyester
- 3 Size Options Available
If you want a cover for multiple bikes and even a cover for your bikes when mounted on a car rack, this Pro Bike Tool bicycle cover will be ideal.
It comes in three sizes options (for one, two or three bikes) and there’s also a looser fitting option if you just want a multiple bike cover but not to go on your car.
The car bike rack cover is aero-dynamically designed to reduce drag, while also not being too difficult to attach.
The material is also made from ripstop Oxford Fabric 300D material that is double stitched and heat sealed. This means it isn’t easy to snag or rip, while also being very strong and waterproof.
- Best Reflective Cycling Jackets
- Most Stylish Bike Helmets for Commuters
- Best Bike Maintenance Stands for Home
- Plus Bike vs Fat Bike: Differences + Advantages Explained - September 20, 2021
- Cycling to Work in the Rain [Ultimate Tips for Commuters] - September 9, 2021
- Himiway Cruiser Review [Best Value Electric Fat Bike?] - September 7, 2021