Let’s start with a bold statement: you need to ensure that you’re safe on your bicycle before riding it. Sounds obvious, right? Well, perhaps there’s a little more you could to do tick that box.
Like, say, buying indicators for bike (s) use to save you relying on your own two hands.
An outstretched hand may do the job more often that not, but what if it’s dark and you’re not clearly visible to those around you? What if you suddenly dart off-course due to loss of balance? A good pair of LED bike indicators alleviates those worries entirely.
✨ Win a £100 Rapha Voucher 👉 Complete our 1-min Cycling Lifestyle Survey
But which are the best bicycle indicators in the business? And how do you use them? Let’s take a look:
How to Indicate on a Bike
There are two ways to indicate on a bike: 1) with your hands, or 2) with indicator lights. We’ll cover the latter below, but if you’re happy to use your hands and arms to signal, then here are the basics:
- Left turn – extend out your left arm and all fingers, or point left with index finger.
- Right turn – extend left arm sideways bent at a 90-degree angle, pointing hand upwards and palm facing forwards.
- Right turn (alternative) – extend out your right arm and all fingers, or point right with index finger.
- Stopping / slowing – extend our left or right arm sideways, bending it at a 90-degree angle, pointing hand downwards and palm facing backwards.
Or, as we’d encourage you to, get yourself some bicycle turn indicators, which function in much the same way as they do with cars.
Whether on the handlebars, the rear of the saddle, or perhaps on your vest or helmet, they make it instantly crystal-clear which way you intend to turn to everyone in your vicinity.
Types of Bicycle Indicators
Before picking out personal favourites, let’s look out those four different types in a little more detail:
- Handlebars: probably the most common and conventional, you simply place turn signals on either side, to be activated by pressing a button or just touching them.
- Rear of saddle: there should be a box on your handlebars which connects to the rear turn signal. Press left or right should transmit the message to the rear. Though, this only enhances your visibility to those behind you.
- On your vest: you can also buy yellow reflective vests with with a luminous arrow on the back connected to a box on your handlebar.
- On your helmet: this yellow vest system can also apply to helmets, with LEDs lighting up on either side of the headgear depending on which way you intend to turn.
On top of that, here are some of the main factors you’ll want to consider before choosing the best bike indicator lights for you:
- Features – are they waterproof? Do they have different lighting modes? Do they fit handlebars, saddle rears, vests or helmets of all shapes and sizes?
- Battery life – this will depend, of course, on how frequent a cyclist you are. The more you ride, the longer battery you life you’ll need. Also, whether or not they’re USB-rechargeable may be an important factor.
- Type of flash – you want the most visible indicator light you can find. This will depend factors like your bike’s shape, whether you wear a backpack of helmet, etc.
- Cost – make sure you get good value for money and you know exactly what you’re paying for. Good LED indicator lights can still be found on a tighter budget.
- Power of light – check before buying that its brightest light is bright enough, and will keep you clearly visible even through darker cycles.
- Ease of use – can they be easily mounted on your bike? Do they have adjustable straps? Again, is there a USB charging port and cable attached? Does it come with a wireless remote? And above all else, are the lights, well, easy to use?
- Warranty – don’t overlook this. A warranty could make you a great saving on any maintenance fees you may need further down the line.
- Brand – less important, admittedly, but your market leaders are the likes of MeOkey, Owikar and WildGrow. That’s not to say they’re the only ones making quality indicator lights, though – far from it, as we’ll explore shortly…
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
Learn more here.
Top 3: Best Bike Indicators
Best Bike Bar End Indicators
Simple but effective bike lights with indicators
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 8.0 x 3.2 cm
- Weight: 100g
- Includes: direction indicators with pair of lights, micro USB cable
If you want a no-frills, value-for-money set of bar end lights, look no further than these CYCL cycling indicators.
Included are flashing orange indicators as well as permanent red and white LEDS and the rear and front respectively. They’re waterproof, highly durable, and USB-rechargeable, with a full charge taking less than half an hour and a battery life of up to three hours.
Pressing and holding their button activates their permanent light function, and a single tap will transform them into indicators. They’re a universal fit and couldn’t be easier to fit onto your handlebars.
As well as these ‘fixed’ bar end indicators, there’s also a removable magnetic version (known as “Mag”) worth checking out here.
Also, if you’re on a budget, you can also get the older version for less than £30 here. They’re pretty similar; just not quite as bright, has four lights rather than a seamless 360-degree light and are not as secure (read out full review here).
- Permanent White/Red 'position' lights + flashing orange indicators. 4 Extra Bright Power Efficient Orange LEDs Lights per Indicator with addition of Red (Back) and White (Front) LEDs Permanent Lights
- High Quality Anodized Aluminum Construct CNC Machined, Durable, Waterproof, Shockproof Design
- USB Rechargeable, come with a micro USB cable capable of a full charge in under 30 minutes. Each charge will provide 3 hours of visibility in continuous light mode (more whilst flashing!)
Best Wireless Bicycle Indicators
Ultra-powerful, unmissable bike signal lights
- Dimensions: 16.0 x 13.6 x 4.6 cm
- Weight: 155g
- Includes: wireless remote control, USB charging cable and port
If something wireless is your preference, you won’t find many better than these wireless bicycle turn signals from Excras, which come with an easily-controllable remote with three simple buttons (left, right, LED).
Its ultra-bright indicator lights boast an output of up to 100 lumens, making them visible from as far as 150 feet away, while its IPX4 waterproof certification makes it dependable no matter how heavy a downpour you’re caught in.
It’s USB-rechargeable, and can work in flashing mode for up to ten hours after a full charge. Simply fit to the rear of the saddle, place the remote somewhere within your reach and press whichever button you need – it couldn’t be easier.
- Ultra Bright Bike Turn Signals: 39 high light LED lamp beads, up to 100 lumen output, bright enough to be seen from 150 feet away in foggy/rainy day or even in dark night.
- Wireless Remote Control: Install a remote control on the bike head, easily control the bike tail light to send signals in different modes by the three easy to use buttons on the wireless controller.
- IPX4 Waterproof: IPX4 waterproof level can be used in small to moderate rain in the temperature of in -4~140Â°F -- your best partner for outdoor biking.
Bike Helmet with Indicator Lights Built-In
State-of-the-art, multi-function helmet with indicator lights for bikes
- Dimensions: 28 x 21 x 15 cm
- Weight: 300g
- Includes: SOS alarm system, Bluetooth function, integrated speaker and microphone, wireless remote control, USB charging cable and port
Whether in black or white, you’ll do well to find a helmet with more functionality than this LIVALL design (full review here); not least because of its dependable indicator functions.
The BH60 SE comes with 14 LEDs which light up in red and yellow, using a remote control attached to the handlebars to indicate clearly and visibly either left or right.
There’s also an SOS alarm system – its sensors monitor the helmet’s position and can detect strong impacts, such as in the event of a fall. This will be reported to the LIVALL app, which can send an SMS message to an emergency contact.
Its Bluetooth function allows for easy pairing with your smartphone, enabling such features as altering light settings, using navigation prompts from Google Maps, listening to music and much more. Plus, there’s an integrated speaker and microphone, so you can take calls while you ride, too.
It’s also USB-rechargeable, with a battery life of about three to four hours.
- Safety: more safety thanks to more visibility. Thanks to the integrated LED light system, you are even more visible in road traffic. The BH60 SE has 14 LEDs that light up red and yellow. The...
- SOS alarm system: sensors monitor the position of the helmet and detect when the helmet has strong forces such as a fall. The helmet reports this to the Livall app, which in turn informs an emergency...
- Bluetooth and app: the integrated Bluetooth interface allows easy pairing with your smartphone. Via the Livalll app, available in any app store, you manage your new BH60 SE helmet, set the light...
Backpack Indicator Lights for Cycling
Highly visible bicycle turn signal lights
- Dimensions: 25.8 x 24.4 x 4.0 cm
- Weight: 200g
- Includes: wireless remote control, USB charging cable and port, four zip ties
Fancy something quirkier? This reflective LED backpack accessory responds to whichever buttons you press on its wireless remote control to give those behind you a clear indication of which way you’re going, while greatly enhancing your visibility with its lights and its reflective functions.
It’s easy to assemble onto your backpack, as it’s merely a foam panel that can be attached on seamlessly. The wireless control, meanwhile, means you never have to take your hands off the handlebar.
This USB-rechargeable accessory has as many as four LED signals: left, right, forward and stop, to keep pedestrians well-informed at all times.
- ★【Direction Indicator Keeps You Safe on the Road】- This reflective LED bike pack accessory is equipped with reflective strips and LED lights. The LED will respond to signal received from remote...
- ★【Easily Assembled】- This LED reflective bag accessory can be easily assembled on your own cycling backpack. It`s just a foam panel that attach to a bike backpack. Absolutely a perfect add-on...
- ★【Wireless Remote Control】- Wireless control, safely use when riding.Tied or mounted the wireless transmitter on the bike, so you never has to take their hands off the handlebar. It can be used...
LED Turn Signal Indicator Vest
A more unique, long-lasting set of bicycle turn signals
- Dimensions: 26 x 24 x 3 cm
- Weight: 300g
- Includes: back pocket padded with mesh, USB charging cable and port, reflective stripes
Whether in grey or green, this handy vest comes with both reflective strips and LED signal lights for perfect visibility during even the darkest cycles.
Again, it has four signals, left, right, forward and stop, with flashing lights for emergency signals. To indicate a turn, you just press the corresponding button on its wireless handlebar remote control.
Its back pocket is padded with mesh to keep your belongings safe and increase your own comfort and breathability, while it’s USB-rechargeable, with an impressive battery life of up to 20 hours of continuous use.
- Attach the wireless transmitter to the handlebars of your bike for easier control, adjustable shoulder and waist straps to fit your body perfectly. Lightweight backpack with reflective stripes and LED...
- This cycling vest has 4 LED signals: left, right, forward, stop, flashing lights to emergency signals, to remind drivers and passengers keep distance from you. When making a turn, simply press the...
- Back pocket padded with mesh to keep your cards and your money while improving breathability and comfort. Recharges from your computer or any device with USB port.No wasted on batteries and more...
Saddle Bag with Indicator Lights
Perfect for storing your things as well as boasting handlebar turn signals
- Dimensions: 20.9 x 17.4 x 12.8 cm
- Weight: 190g
- Includes: waterproof outer shell, adjustable adhesive mounting strap, USB charging cable and port
Finally, if you’re after a saddle bag with indicator LEDs, the under-seat bag will serve you well, responding to signals from its easy-to-use wireless remote to leave those behind you well-informed.
It comes with an adjustable adhesive mounting strap, making installation and removal effortless, and its waterproof outer shell with soft padding keeps your possessions safe from impacts or bumps.
And yes, you guessed it – it’s USB rechargeable and waterproof, making it the ideal bag to store your belongings, and can also work as a traffic signal light to keep you safe while cycling in the road.
- ★【Cycling Saddle Bag with Turn Signal Lights Keeps You Safe on the Road】- This under seat safety bicycle saddle bag is equipped with reflective strips and LED direction indicator. The LED light...
- ★【Easy to Use and Remove from the Bicycle】- This dailylook bike saddle bag has adjustable adhesive mounting strap, which makes it quick to install and remove. It can be used to hold your...
- ★【Durable Construction】- Water-proof outer shell with soft padding protects your stuffs from impacts and bumps. It is perfectly suitable for those riders who need a bicycle saddle bag with...
- 2021 Cycling Lifestyle Survey: Win a £100 Rapha Voucher - April 21, 2021
- Champagne Rides: A Chat with Didsbury Bicycle Hire’s Ashleigh Otten [COMPETITION] - April 20, 2021
- What is the Best Bike for Cycling to Work? [VISUAL GUIDE] - April 9, 2021