If you’re tired of carrying such heavy weight on your back as your cycle, perhaps to and from work or after going shopping, then a bike basket might be the perfect answer to easing that load.
There’s plenty of range too; whether it’s something cheap, something compact, or simply something to keep the dog safe in while cycling, there’s a bike basket for everyone.
Here, we’ll take you through many of the advantages of mixing bikes with baskets, before discussing the pros and cons of front and rear baskets and looking at the best bicycle baskets going.
Benefits of Bicycle Baskets
- Quite simply, they make life easier. Instead of lugging things around in a bag or backpack, they take the weight off you and onto a bike basket, whose extra weight you’ll barely notice.
- They offer easier access to your belongings. Again, with your possessions in a bag or backpack, you may have to stop cycling if you need to get your wallet or water bottle, for example, out of it. At least with a front basket, that problem is eliminated, so you won’t have to slow down (or not too much, anyway).
- Most are incredibly easy to install, too. Simply attach using straps or hooks to your bike frame for front baskets, or a luggage carrier or rack on your rear wheel, and you’re good to go.
Front Baskets v Rear Baskets
You also have a choice of where to attach them – a bicycle front basket should fit with ease onto your handlebars, with a rear bicycle basket belonging on your bike’s back wheel.
The best bike basket will make for an excellent storage unit no matter where it’s positioned, but what’s the difference between these two?
|Front Bike Basket||Rear Bike Basket|
|More suitable for storing more essential items or belongings that are greater in quantity, but lighter in weight||Can carry much larger capacities|
|Can slightly impair your view or steering at times||Don’t affect your view or steering while cycling|
|Use straps or hooks to attach to handlebars||Mount on rear wheel using a luggage carrier or rack|
|More accessibility – easier to access possessions placed in basket||Not as quick or easy to access belongings as with front cycling baskets|
|Usually made from metal, plastic or composite materials||Usually narrower and longer than front baskets|
|Best bicycle basket for for commuters or grocery shoppers (depending on how much you buy, of course)||Best basket for bike riders transporting weightier goods|
Types of Cycling Basket:
- Front Bike Baskets
- Metal Bike Baskets
- Wicker Bicycle Baskets
- Dog Bike Baskets
- Folding Bike Baskets
- Detachable Bike Baskets
- Rear Bike Baskets
Top 5: Front Bike Baskets
Best Metal Bicycle Basket
- Material: Aluminium
- Size: 499 g
- Best front bike basket in terms of aesthetics
This Dutch front basket for bike offers great functionality, as well as a sharp look.
Made of high-quality aluminium, it looks the part and works perfectly as a place to store your belongings.
You might also like these metal bike baskets…
- Strong big front carrier
- Bars to mount onto axle w/ hooks to attach to handlebar
- Not in combination w/ suspension forks
- Made of high quality material
- Compatible with all Road and MTB bicycles
- Excellent level of reliability and longevity
- Material: aluminium
- Base made from 3 wooden slats
- Dimensions: 380 x 260 x 260 mm
And this removable wire bicycle basket…
- Very firm and high quality design, reinforced main and auxiliary bars
- Plastic covered ergonomic handle, with M-Wave Logo plate
- Approx. 41 x 30 x 18 cm, very small meshed
Best Wicker Bicycle Basket
- Material: Rattan with faux leather
- Size: 1.5 kg
- Large bicycle basket with snug-fitting lid
Ideal for any bicycle, this wicker bike front basket comes with a handy lid to keep your things secure while riding. Whether in natural brown or nature grey, this rattan and leather Basil bike basket looks and feels great, too.
Other wicker bike baskets you may like…
- traditional steamed willow wicker, faux leather strap mounting
- `D` shaped. 350mm x 300mm ( front to back )x 250mm deep SEE OUR NEW MATCHING CHILDREN`S VERSION AND NEW COLOUR CHOICE - HOME-DECOR
- PedalPro Wicker Bicycle Basket - Vintage style wood basket with tan straps
- Ideal for transporting shopping on your bike
- Classic PU leather straps with belt style buckles for secure fitting - Designed for fitting onto handlebars
Best Dog Bicycle Basket
- Material: Aluminium
- Size: 950 g
- A great mens’ or ladies’ bike basket
An easily-detachable front bicycle basket which doubles up seamlessly as a pet carrier, grocery shopping bag and much more.
Plus, it’s collapsible, making transporting and storing it far easier. One of the best dog bike baskets currently on the market.
Other dog baskets for bikes you may like…
- Easy To Install:Quick-release buckles allow it to easily disassemble and reassemble quickly for convenience sake.Padded soft, cream sheepskin liner bottom provides a comfy ride, and the floor board is...
- SAFE & SECURE PET CARRIER: Tether attaches to collar/harnessto prevent jumping out, and for extra security, a draw string mesh cover closures that gives you the option to cord your pet in and out...
- Multi Use: converts to Pet Car Seat booster Carrier,dog backpack,dog shoulder bag with included shoulder strap,All-in-one basket.Measures 11"L x 12"W x 14.5”H,deep and safely holds pets up to 19lbs...
- Made of high quality, durable and strong, European boiled wicker.
- Hand woven in Europe.
- Able to carry up to 12kg
Best Folding Bike Basket
- Material: Solid metal
- Size: 1.32 kg
- Fits most folding and mountain bikes
Another collapsible basket, this metal design fits most folding and mountain bikes and well-equipped for heavier loads.
It’s easy to install and detach, too; just push the folded basket a little and lift the buckle to open it.
Best Detachable Bike Basket
- Material: Aluminium
- Size: 850 g
- Drawstring top to keep belongings safe
As easy to attach as to remove, this multi-purpose basket just needs a quick-release handlebar mount to slip onto the front seamlessly.
It’s also wear-resistant with an in-built waterproof coating, making it reliable even in heavy rain. A great choice as either a boys’ or girls’ bike basket.
Other quick release bicycle baskets you may like…
- PedalPro Metal Mesh Bicycle Basket - Ideal for carrying shopping etc on your bicycle
- Quick release - Includes bike handlebar bracket - Simply clip basket onto mechanism & press red button to release
- Lightweight - Weights under 900g! - Simple carry handle for using in shops
- ❤️ 【Portable Shopping Basket】 When we go shopping in a nearby store, it is a perfect shopping basket, saves the cost of buying shopping bags, and is very easy to install and remove
- ❤️ 【Safe Pet Basket】 Because it is made of durable canvas and uses aluminum alloy material as a handle, it can place pets very well, it is safe and it is not easy for pets to escape
- ❤️ 【Excellent Quality】 Aluminum alloy frame and handle, strong and durable. It can bear a weight of 7-8 kg. Therefore, general food and small pets can be indoors
Top 3: Rear Bike Baskets
Best Metal Rear Bicycle Basket
- Material: Aluminium
- Size: 3.5 kg
- Sloping edges for more leg room
A minimalist design, but a dependable model, this aluminium back bike basket comes with slanted edges for greater leg room, and is weatherproof, which is always a useful bonus.
Best Rear Bike Basket for Dog
- Material: Wicker
- Size: 3.3 kg
- Sturdy bike basket; one of the best wicker basket for bikes
Made of quality, durable materials, this weatherproof wicker bicycle basket is perfect for keeping your furry friends safe, and is just as quick and easy to set up. There’s also a removable protective wear for extra security, too.
Best Removable Rear Bike Basket
- Material: Steel
- Size: 750 g
- Handle makes it easy for transporting goods
Another easy installation is guaranteed with this large rear bike basket – just clamp onto your bike’s rear without any screws needed. Its handle also facilitates transporting goods from a quick trip to the shops, for example.
You might also like this rear bicycle boot…
- Volume approx. 7.5 liter, size: 27 x 20 x 15 cm (L x W x H)
- Clamp for safe closure, fixing point for padlock, 4 tension belt brackets
- High quality plastic, dust and water resistant, for mounting on the rear carrier
- Champagne Rides: A Chat with Didsbury Bicycle Hire’s Ashleigh Otten [COMPETITION] - April 20, 2021
- What is the Best Bike for Cycling to Work? [VISUAL GUIDE] - April 9, 2021
- Electric Bikes vs. Electric Scooters: Which is Best for Commuters? - March 8, 2021