What is the Best Smartwatch for Cycling? Find a Strava Watch
Whether you’re new to cycling or just want to splash out on some state-of-the-art cycling gear, smartwatches are a great way to enhance your experience while out on your bike.
A GPS cycling watch offers so many benefits to every cyclist. Of course, they can obviously provide you with maps to navigate and direct you on your way, but can do much more than that, too.
Want a Strava Watch or a GPS Cycling Watch?
For instance, they can track your speed, your distance travelled, your calories burned and your heart rate, and control your music without you having to reach for your phone every few minutes.
This design from Suunto has countless key features, but what’s most impressive is its battery life – it can last for up to 25 hours in Performance mode and as long as 120 hours when in Ultra mode.
You get notifications on battery life, too, so you can change modes while you ride so you won’t run out before the end of your cycle. It also includes optical sensors to measure your heart rate, and you can connect a strap for greater accuracy on this.
A sturdy watch, it is ideal for lengthy, tiring cycles where you will need lots of juice in the tank. And while it’s the most expensive on here, you’ll no doubt find you’ve got your money’s worth with perhaps not just the best smartwatch for cycling, but the best cycling watch for commuters, too.
- The training companion for serious athletes, Support for 80+ sports such as swimming (waterproof to 100 m), cycling or running, Intelligent battery with smart battery life management providing up to…
- Colour display with 3 action buttons, Graphic heart rate wrist display (even while resting), Step and calorie display (last 7 days), tracking + route navigation with waypoints and real-time breadcrumb…
- Fast GPS tracking, Coordinate system, GPS and Barometric altimeter working in conjunction to create AltiFused technology, FusedTrack distance and track accuracy. Strap material: Silicone
This design is tailored more for athletes who want to use it primarily as a training device. If you’re looking for the best fitness tracker for cycling, this could be for you.
It includes a pulse oximeter, and is the best watch for Strava, and offers downloadable workouts, among many more training features including a VO2 max monitor and training status with adjustments for heat, altitude, training load, recovery time, and aerobic and anaerobic training effects.
Possibly the best Garmin for cycling, it comes with Wifi, ANT+, and Bluetooth, as well as countless tracking functions, plus full-colour GPS through reading GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo satellites, and not only that, but it also gives you directions, too. So, it’s not only the best fitness watch for cycling, but the best GPS watch, too.
You can also sync your music to it or store as many as 1,000 songs on your watch, and connect with headphones enabled with Bluetooth for phone-free listening, while Garmin Pay contactless payment solution means you can leave your wallet at home, too.
It is packed with helpful safety and tracking features, too, such as incident detection and assistance, which both send your real-time location to emergency contacts.
It has a decent battery life, too; it lasts as long as two weeks in smartwatch mode, ten hours in GPS mode with music, or up to 60 hours in UltraTrac mode.
Another great choice for athletes, this Garmin model is made for assisting you during your sporting activities. It measures your performance while you ride, tracks activities for sharing and directs you back home every step of the way, too.
What’s more, the new Connect IQ app makes it possible to develop so much more functions for all types of activities in the future, while it also comes with a heart rate and running efficiency monitor to help you get the best out of your cycles.
It also measures your speed to help offer advanced training routines for your cycling workouts, and shows power metrics when paired with ANT+ power meters, such as the Vector line of single and dual-sensing pedal options.
And it offers you the function of receive live notifications through your phone, so there’s no need to stop to rummage around in your bag should you hear it vibrate all of a sudden.
Plus, it boasts an impressive battery life, too; it lasts up to 20 hours when in GPS training mode; and as long as 6 weeks when in watch mode.
- Stainless Steel EXO antenna with GPS + GLONASS support for fast fix and accuracy
- 3.1 cm (1.2-inch) sunlight readable colour Chroma display
- Altimeter, barometer and 3-axis compass with auto calibration
A good all-rounder, this is the best Fitbit for cycling, giving on-board GPS rather than connected GPS and letting you download and play music without you needing to hook up your phone.
In terms of fitness, it tracks your steps, your calories burned, your sleep patterns, and your heart rate. Auto-exercise recognition and auto start/stop functions allow you to start cycling without having to change different modes.
It is also a Strava watch, and apps for things like sports, weather and more, a female health tracker, contactless payments, multisport modes, call and text notifications, and reminders to get up and move.
- Start dynamic personal coaching on your wrist with step-by-step instruction. Syncs with windows vista and later, mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4s and later, iPad 3 gen and later. Syncing range up to 20…
- Store and play 300+ songs, no phone needed. Care – If the band gets wet or if you sweat in it, remove and completely dry the band before putting it back on
- Use built-in GPS/GLONASS to track pace, distance & routes. Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is tough and damage resistant. Call and text notifications via Bluetooth 4.0
Weighing merely 44 grams, this is one of the lightest smartwatches you can find, and is packed full of useful features to improve your cycling experience.
First of all, it has a superb battery life; with up to 30 hours of training time with GPS active, it can keep trainers going through their toughest stretches.
It also comes with Polar Precision Prime technology to give extremely accurate heart rate readings, and Training Load Pro separates cardio load, muscle load and perceived load, and offers you a much more detailed look than usual at how your training is impacting on your body
That’s not all, though, because the Vantage M comes with Bluetooth Low Energy and can be paired with a variety of cycling accessories.
- Polar’s improved optical HR sensor fusion technology that combines optical heart rate measurement with skin contact measurement; interference greatly reduced so heart rate is more accurate
- Training load pro: Get a comprehensive view of how your session strains your body, session-by-session and long-term monitoring
- Vantage M comes with a 30 hours battery life
With 15 exercise modes and on-screen workouts, this is a great fitness tracking smartwatch which looks the part, too. Its many tracking functions include measurers of daily movement, calories burned, steps, floors climbed, sleep cycles, and a female health tracker.
It also gives you live notifications when paired with your phone, too, including call, text, email, or social media alerts. Plus, it also enables you to stream music through your phone or straight from the smartwatch via Pandora when connected to WiFi.
The Special Edition model also offers a contactless payment function, so with this Fitbit cycling watch, you can leave the credit card and cash at home.
- Reach your activity goals: tracks steps, distance, floors & active minutes
- Pure Pulse 24/7 heart rate to better track calorie burn
- Tracks light, deep and REM sleep stages
Despite being one of the cheapest of the bunch here, this Garmin model still does most of the things you expect from a smartwatch, so don’t be put off by the drop in price compared to others.
It comes with GPS (when in GPS mode, the battery can last for a decent 16 hours), so can direct you on your cycle, offers wrist-based heart rate monitoring, and allows you to customise you training as you see fit.
It also offers audio prompts from your phone when connected to your smartwatch, including laps and lap times, email, text and call alerts, calendar reminders and much more.
- Tracks heart rate, VO2 max estimate and recovery advisor through Elevate Wrist Heart Rate technology. The display resolution is 215 x 180 pixels
- Connected features: Automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, live tracking, audio prompts, smart notifications, social media sharing and music control
- Customised training plans from Garmin Connect on your watch for real-time coaching. Smartphone compatibility: iPhone(iOS 9.0 or Later), Android(4.4 OS or Later)
Give Us Your Smartwatch Recommendation In The Comments Below!f