10 Reasons You Should Try an Electric Bike

9 Responses

1. Bob says:

I have a Volt AlpineX electric bike that use 6 days a week traveling 14 miles a day. I live in Yorkshire so have some large hills on my travels the AlpineX plays with them does up to 80 miles on a charge but I charge mine everyday. Goes up some pretty big hills at 27kph with no problems. Before I got the AlpineX I did the same trip on an EBCO UCR30 not as powerful as the Volt but a great bike.
    I smoke and drink and these bikes make it easy for me to get around without getting knackered.
    A great way to cycle. I only use it for going to work and never need to get changed or have a shower.

2. Patrick H says:

New rules for UK sold e-bikes in January 2016 though, only pedelecs to be classed as bicycles, (difference is you have to pedal rather than just twist a throttle).

Still very low adoption here in the UK compared to Germany or Holland, where ten percent of bikes sold are e-bikes.

You need to dig deep into the wallet to get a European made bike and the Chinese are catching up fast and offer some great bikes but if something goes wrong with the electricals there isn’t any manufacturer support.

I took the plunge and bought a Sparta RXS step thru, made in Holland, I winced at the base cost, then add a long range battery and wotnot and it was hard to justify but 500 miles in and I am a convert.

It’s also quite cool in the classic ‘sit up and beg’ Dutch style, wind and hills become less of an issue. And if an experienced cyclist you can still have fun as the handling is rock solid.

• Thanks for your comment Patrick. I hadn’t heard about the reclassification.
      Think there’s certainly still a stigma – especially in the UK – attached the e-bikes. Unnecessary really as they do make cycling a much more viable and enjoyable option to a much great segment of the population as you alluded to in your examples regarding wind and hills.
      Happy cycling,
      Pete

• Patrick H says:

The problem in the UK, as I see it, is that e-bikes are seen as a novelty, and an expensive one at that, entry level bikes are £600, you can get a really nice human powered bike for that money.

I still love normal cycling, I have had great fun on my other bikes, but I had the money and took the plunge, only downer is that it is heavy despite the claims. I’ve added panniers so load those up and it’s a serious workout getting it on a train!

Would be great to see some more e-bike news and reviews here, it’s not for everyone, you zoom to the EU cut off limit at 15.5 mph whereas my previous setup (Giant Rapid), with a cycle computer indicated about 12 mph on a run.

So basically I’m going a bit faster, more comfortably, The Giant was very light though, and multi tasking, took it down a steep road hill, in complete confidence, at speed, not sure I would do that with the e-bike, too heavy, too much momentum.

However there is the option to switch on downhill braking, similar to kers F1 technology, but I can’t see it helping on the hills around here….

Anyway, it’s all good fun!

3. Lynn Ayling says:

I love my electric bike! I have arthritis and was advised not to cycle uphill but, living in North Wales, it is tricky to avoid hills. Sorted, although I still need to cycle uphill the electric motor takes away most of the strain. The improvements in cycle paths in the area has also made cycling to work a much preferred option over the car.

4. Carolyn says:

I had a Giant Twist Esprit pedelec bike which I used to commute on a 13 mile round trip each day. A great bike for commuting but very heavy to move if you are not cycling. It did make commuting pleasurable and not a chore but I would still use my “normal” bike for any pleasure cycling at the weekend.

5. Steven Smith says:

Can any electric cycle supplier or manufacturer help, I’m looking at raising money for organ donation, my daughter had a double transplant late last yr and I want to raise money to thank them. But I need an electric cycle with spare battery as I want to cycle from Derby to Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, if any manufacturer can help please get in touch at s.smith401@btinternet.com

6. Tone e says:

I use a e-bike every day. I have evan made my own indicators and 12volt lights front and back and horn and a trickle charge soler cell to keep it topped up ..thery are a great way to get around i have had 2 bikes and on my 3rd now as i passed my old ones on to a charity to give to disabled people