What is a Hybrid Bike?
A hybrid bike is exactly what it says on the tin – a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. This makes them a great choice for commuters because, no matter what sort of ground you have to cycle on to get to and from work, a hybrid bike will be prepared for it more often than not.
Hybrid Bike Features
Hybrid bikes usually have a flat handlebar, as found on a mountain bike, which allows for shifting and braking components often similar to mountain bike. This, in turn, offers a more upright, comfortable and safe riding position.
Hybrid bikes also generally consist of larger tyres than road bikes, which also offers the cyclist more in the way of comfort. Some hybrids are also equipped with full mudguards, and some even with pannier racks to assist you, too.
Hybrid Bikes: Pros and Cons
- You reap the benefits from both mountain and road bikes, allowing for a more advanced, refined model
- Can tackle a far greater range of terrain with less fuss
- Ideal for commuting
- Generally made of more lightweight materials
- More upright cycling position
- Heavier frame and thicker tyres mean hybrid bikes are not as fast as road bikes
- Hybrid bike tyres won’t last long if used for mountain biking regularly
- Can prove less comfortable for longer cycles
Best Hybrid Bikes
Like the sound of them? Well, below, we’ll give you five of the best value hybrid bikes currently on the market, including both men’s hybrid bikes and the best hybrid bikes for women, in order to hopefully enable you to find best hybrid bicycle to suit your needs.
NOTE: This page contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links, which helps to keep the wheels of Discerning Cyclist turning.
A high-performance hybrid bike with upgraded components that can withstand to longer commutes on all sorts of terrain.
- Like all good hybrid bikes, its lightweight frame, front suspension, tubeless rims and puncture-resistant tyres offer you a sturdier, more durable model ideal for all kinds of commute.
- The fork’s lockout feature ensures you’ll always cycle efficiently – you can close it for smoother surfaces, then open it up again on rougher ground.
- Its high number of gears mean you can always find the perfect gear to hit your stride, no matter how steep or rocky the surface.
A hybrid city bike tailor-made for all types of commute, this is especially handy if your journey to and from work is longer than 10km.
- A sturdy bike, perfect for handling all surfaces, with 21-speed gears to take on all kinds of challenges along the way.
- Height-adjustable stem and foam saddle to enhance the rider’s comfort while cycling.
- Highly visible thanks to its Shimano Dynamo hub with an LED light and tyres with reflective strips.
One of Pinnacle’s best-selling hybrid bikes, the Neon 2 is light, fast and comfortable – making it an ideal city bike.
- Offers a mix of stronger handling on rougher ground and a safe option for urban, congested roads, making it ideal for commuting no matter how far or how taxing your journey may be.
- Its 6061-T6 heat treated alloy frame is lightweight and won’t hold you back and make you feel stiff while riding.
- Fast, reliable gear shifting with enough of a range to tackle all sorts of terrain.
If you’re happy with a cheap hybrid bike which covers all of the essentials, this Riverside model might just be the one for you at just £129.99 and the most affordable hybrid bike on the list.
- Six-speed grip shifter, simple to change between, allowing for great ease of use.
- Equipped with a strong hybrid steel unisex frame and versatile road and trail tyres.
- Perfect for shorter-distance cycling on smoother ground, this is the first bike that allows you to go from road to trail in a split-second.
If you’re looking for a bargain hybrid bike, you won’t find anything much better than this cheap bike that you can buy on Amazon.
The Ammasco CS700 has 24 speed shimano gears and V-brakes. It’s your no-thrills bike that will get simple rides done with minimal fuss. A good bike for casual riders.
- Exclusive Lightweight Alloy Sports Frame – Straight Blade Forks – 24 Speed Shimano ST-TX800 Tourney EZ-Fire Shifters (3 x 8)
- Shimano Tourney TX Brake Levers – Front & Rear V-Brakes – Ergonomic Comfort Handlebar Grips, Black – Adjustable A-Head Handlebar Stem, Black
- 590mm Wide Flat Bar Handlebars, Black – Shimano Tourney TX Front Derailleur – Shimano TY501 Triple Chainset, 175mm Cranks – Shimano Altus RD-M310 Rear Derailleur – Shimano HG200-8 Cassette
What Hybrid Bike Do You Use For Your Commute? Let Us Know In The Comments…
Discover More Cool Cycling Gear